Monday, February 27, 2012

FEBRUARY 28, 2012 MEET THE NETTLE PLANTS



















"IMPOSSIBLE is a world only to be found in the dictionary of fools."

Nothing is impossible. Anything in this world is possible. It may not be on your time line and terms, but it is possible. Examples are gong back to school to take a course for credit or elective, doing a new hobby, or even starting to date . Better yet --getting married


I love the plant, Urtica dioica. It is known by many names . Some names are common nettles, stinging nettles, or greater nettle. These plants are weedy perennials and are common in North America, Europe Asia and even Africa. These plants are from the family Urticaceae. One of the courses I took at the New York Botanical Gardens after I finished my Botanical Medicine Program was Botanical Latin. In college I not only studied Latin, but was a teaching assistant for first and second year Latin students. When I think back I do not know how I did that, but it was NOT IMPOSSIBLE. I remember studying with my college friend, Marianne in her grandfather's house where she lived. Anyway, the 4 week botanical Latin course at the NY Botanical Gardens (http://www.nybg.org/) was great. The Latin word for nettle is urtica. The medical term for painful or intense hives is called Urticaria.


The tiny fine hairs on some of the nettle plants deliver a sting. Thus, the name Stinging Nettles. These hairs are like fine hypodermic needle injections. Ouch!!!

Two compounds that are delivered with its sting are tartaric acid and oxalic acid. Both are irritating to the skin. These compounds are also found in some fruits and vegetables. There is a tiny amount of formic acid which is found in bee and ant venom.

What I find odd is that the relief for the stings comes from the sap of the crushed leaves. In the United States we have it easy with the stinging nettles. One of the most potent nettle plants are the Tree Nettles from Australia and New Zealand. This plant also called Ongaonga, can cause blistering, a severe rash and intense stings. Animals that come in contact with this plant often die.



In our herbal closet at home Rick and I have a pound of stinging nettles. I use it regularly as a tea for environmental allergies, cough and upper respiratory tract infections. I think it tastes great as a tea. For those who are not used to herbal tea add some raspberry leaf tea and a bit of wild flower honey. Nettles is also used for urinary tract infections. I usually combine nettles with one drop of juniper essential oil. For those who do not like tea, stinging nettles is found in a product I use often during pre-allergy and allergy season. It is called Natural D-Hist. This is available at http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/

Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment