Tuesday, February 7, 2012

FEBRUARY10, 2012 FISH KEEPING
































"The earth which is spread out like a map around me is but the lining of my inmost soul exposed." - Henry David Thoreau




In The Secret Teachings of Plants, by Stephen Harrod Buhner (who also wrote Healing Lyme) you will find some of the greatest poems and quotes concerning nature. In Chapter 14, 'Reading the Text of the World, ' I got the feeling that the G.O.D. of my understanding is found in all forms of existence. I have always known this. Open your eyes and take a look around. The trees, plants, animals, and lets not forget the bees. Luther Burbank summed it up in this one sentence, "Nature is the manuscript of God."







This is a journey. A journey I have been awaiting my entire life. I want to be one with nature. We all have this bond within us. Meditate and pray. You will find your connection with nature. That connection is then with your higher power. You can call your higher power anything you wish. Eighteen years ago, when I first entered a twelve step program, I called Central Park my Higher Power. I used to sit, watch, listen and meditate in the Park by the lake. I watched turtles, frogs, fish and even saw an eagle while sitting there. It was a reflective time for me. I do not have the time to do this today, but I still meditate outdoors. I meditate with my back to the west facing east. I do not know why I do it , but I feel it is right for me. Find your place among the outdoors.




I have had an aquarium of fish since I was 10 years old. Fish, unlike cats, dogs and hamsters are self sufficient. Well, my Gracie, my Amazon Green Parrot is also self sufficient. I have kept fresh water fish, salt water fish and brackish water fish. Today most modern aquariums come with the necessary filtration system to keep the fish alive. This is a hobby that is animal-loving, meticulous, meditative, independent and even nurturing.




Keeping fish is not new to this century. In ancient times about 2000 years ago the Chinese kept karp and koi. Amazing ponds were filled with koi. It wasn't until Robert Warrington in 1805 discovered the cycling of water necessary to keep fish alive. The Great Exposition of London in 1851 displayed fish in cast iron framed aquariums. This is a hobby that needs patience. You can set up the aquarium in 24 hours, but cannot put the fish in until the pH and the needs of all fish or plants are in balance. I have had as small as 5 gallon aquariums to 110 gallon aquariums.




Fish are soothing for the peaceful mind. In my office, I have a 55 gallon aquarium behind me. The patients can sit in my office for hours ( although insurance does not allow that) It is calming for the nerves. I have a tank of Parrot Fish. There is an old book which is quite helpful in setting up an aquarium. It is Stuart Thraves' " Setting Up a Tropical Aquarium " I would suggest starting with a small 10 gallon aquarium. I used to start with guppies which are easy to keep. These guppies are also easy to breed ( which is another hobby- breeding fish.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment