Wednesday, February 22, 2012

FEBRUARY 23, 2012 IT ONLY TAKES A MOMENT

































"EACH DAY IS A NEW START. EACH MOMENT IS A BEGINNING."


For me it is 'a day at a time'. There was a point in my life when I first entered a twelve step program that I had to take 'a moment at a time'. It always reminds me of the song, It Only Takes a Moment from Hello Dolly. (Broadway - Carol Channing and film version Barbra Streisand). I start each day with a positive mantra or a reading from a Daily Reflection book. This is followed by meditation. It has changed my life. I used to start with counting breaths: 4-7-8 (deep breath in on a count of 4, hold the breath for a count of 7, and exhale the breath on a count of 8).


After so many years, I slowly began to go deeper into my meditation and spirituality and didn't need to count. I only return to counting if 'the committee' in my mind is running wild. This is rare now, but I am human so it does sometimes happen. As comfortable as I was with getting married to the man of my life I needed to count my breaths that day--not because I was nervous but because the committee was active in my mind.







SO YOU SPRAINED YOUR ANKLE... OR YOU HAVE A BRUISE.


It only takes a moment to get a Hamamelis virginia compress. What is that? This is a Witch Hazel compress. I feel witch hazel is under utilized today. It is known for the fragrant yellow flowers grown in the United States. Properties of this herb include: anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and astringent. I know my dad used it for sprains and soreness after driving his 18 wheeler to Albany for deliveries for Rabinowe and Company. Use it externally for cuts and bruises and as a compress for sprains, phlebitis, sunburn and hot swollen joints.







For a real preparation in the wilderness: put 25 grams of the bark in 1 pint of water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and allow to cool. Dip a cloth in the cool decoction, wring and apply to area. It is a great soothing agent. Collection and use of the bark on this manner is called wild crafting.





Witch hazel has even been used in hemorrhoid preparations.





Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment