Friday, February 24, 2012

FEBRUARY 24, 2012 THE CATEPILLAR AND THE MUSHROOM










































"JUST BEING YOURSELF, BEING WHO YOU ARE, IS A SUCCESSFUL REBELLION." - UNKNOWN



Just be who you are. You need not try to be someone else. Do not try to be someone else. It is hard enough just being you. Why would I want to be someone else. Well, to tell you the truth I would love the skills of Fred Astaire's dancing feet, the brains of Albert Einstein, and the looks of Charles Boyer, Leonardo DiCaprio and the debonair Louis Jordan. In reality I am ME. A little bit of my mother love, my Nanny's stories, my Aunt Katie's sewing skills and pranks, my Poppy's cooking (NOT) and my father's brashness. Again in reality I am just ME.






Can picking mushrooms in the field or forest can be deadly? Of course picking mushrooms without some knowledge can be deadly. The Roman Emperor, Claudius 41 - 54 BC died under mysterious situations. A modern day review of his symptoms revealed that he died of muscarine, a deadly toxin found in mushrooms.




My favorite mushroom story is the poison caused by the polka dot mushroom found in Alice and Wonderland. The Caterpillar smoking a pipe on the mushroom is my favorite. It appears as if he if high while sitting on that mushroom. This is called the Fly Mushroom. It is reddish orange with white spots. You have seen it in other fairy tales and even on some needlepoint canvases I have done. The way Alice felt as she nibbled on the mushroom was mild compared to those who eat a bit more. Dizziness, delirium and intoxication followed by death and coma is eminent from ingestion of the Fly Mushroom.




There are many other species of deadly mushrooms. The Magic Mushrooms from the Psilocybe group. Those individuals who came of age in the 1960's might remember these. Then there is Inky Cap, False Morel, and Cortinarius




Have fun reading about Mushrooms




So this a great hobby is finding mushrooms in the field. This would be to identify them only. There should be a fun hobby, NOT a deadly one Sot here is no tasting


Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment