Thursday, July 1, 2010

JULY 1, 2010 NO MORE, NO LESS... BUT A CUP OF TEA





"I only have to be what I am, no more, or no less" --Robbie Rocheford

A Woman's Spirit is a great book for all to read, not only women.

Thanks Karen. A true statement, 'I Am What I Am' is another way of expressing the same thought. I first heard the song sung by George Hearn at the Palace Theater in 1983 at La Cage. I was in the balcony (a poor student at the time) as tears streamed down my face as the song continued. I began to look at my life. I was frightened and invigorated. La Cage aux Folles is a musical with a book by Harvey Fierstein and lyrics and music by Jerry Herman. Based on the 1973 French play of the same name by Jean Poiret, it focuses on a gay couple: Georges, the manager of a Saint-Tropez nightclub featuring drag entertainment, and Albin, (played by George Hearn) his romantic partner and star attraction, and the farcical adventures that ensue when Georges' son, Jean-Michel, brings home his fiancée's ultra-conservative parents to meet them. La Cage has revived on Broadway twice to date--always a Broadway hit. For the last two revivals I have sat in the orchestra--Yeah!!

I am what I am
I am my own special creation
So come take a look
Give me the hook
Or the ovation
It's my world
That I want to have a little pride
My world
And it's not a place I have to hide in
Life's not worth a dam
Till I can say
I am what I am

I am what I am
I don't want praise I don't want pity
I bang my own drum
Some think it's noise I think it's pretty
And so what if I love each sparkle and each bangle
Why not see things from a different angle
Your life is a shame
Till you can shout out I am what I am

I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the aces sometimes the deuces
It's one life and there's no return and no deposit
One life so it's time to open up your closet
Life's not worth a dam till you can shout out
I am what I am

I am what I am

I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck sometimes the aces sometimes the deuces
It's one life and there's no return and no deposit
One life so it's time to open up your closet
Life's not worth a dam till you can shout out
I am what I am

I am I am I am good
I am I am I am strong
I am I am I am worthy
I am I am I belong

I am I am I am useful
I am I am I am true
I am I am somebody
I am as good as you

Yes I am




When treating any disease the physician must consider supporting or addressing other issues. Although an antibiotic or an herbal protocol will start to treat the Lyme Disease--other issues need to be addressed. Yesterday I mentioned testing for heavy metals is important. This can be done by a serum (blood) sample as well as a provocative 6 hour urine challenge with a chelator. "Chelate" is Greek, it means to grab onto. The provocative chelator can be either EDTA or DMSA. One must support the patient's gut physiology and test her/him for food and environmental allergies. This is best accomplished by a serum IgG Food RAST and a IgE environmental test. Most individuals who have a chronic infection will probably have Leaky Gut Syndrome. This was explained in the March blogs when discussing anxiety and your gut, insomnia and your gut, and memory and your gut. Please look back at those blogs.

Pain, depression, anxiety and fatigue are important symptoms for patient and health care provider to discuss. As stated in the beginning of this blog, I not only address the medical (allergies, pH and inflammation ) but I also address the psychosocial issues. Since Lyme Disease is debilitating I encourage the patient to discuss their relationships, their financial status, their fears and their spirituality. As always, dietary lifestyle changes are very important. A low glycemic, high antioxidant dietary lifestyle is a great option. I feel it is imperative to find out all the treatments the patient might have had regarding their Lyme Disease before starting in a new practice. The 'best ever',and the 'cure medicine' ads in newsletters need to be discussed.

In my practice, whether solo or at the Atkins Center for Complimentary Medicine, I have seen many different types of treatments ranging from Rife machines to hydrogen peroxide intravenous treatments. I am open to all types of treatments, but I look to those with research and evidence (whether allopathic or alternative) first. Many of these other treatments are non-covered services which will put a financial burden on the patient. Many of these patients grasp for any treatment as they 'are sick and tired of being sick and tired'. I understand this concept. Many patients feel that some practitioners consider their symptoms 'bizarre' and crazy' Some might have been told to see a psychiatrist. It is the responsibility of the practitioner to listen to the patient. Feel for their concerns, fears and hopes. Many cannot manage their own care.
I feel no one should take their personal inventory.

To relax after these four days of blogs, before the Holiday weekend--let's make a cup of tea. Simple tea is a water extract of herbs. It is also known as an 'infusion'.

Pour hot water over one tablespoon of ground or chopped dried herbs. Cover and let steep for 5 - 10 minutes. Then strain and sip. You can use the leaves or flowers of an herb in the garden. Perhaps you have spearmint, mint or lemon balm in the garden. The best herbs used fresh for tea are dandelion, lemon balm, catnip and angelica.

Try calendula. It might be in your garden. Calendula, more commonly know as Marigold, is one of the most common herbs and can be found growing in people's yards throughout North America and Europe. The colorful petals of the calendula have been used in herbal preparations for hundreds of years.In the past, calendula flowers have been used on injuries to reduce inflammation and as an antiseptic against infection. It has also been used as a remedy for a variety of skin problems ranging from skin ulcerations to eczema. Taken orally, calendula has been used to sooth stomach ulcers and inflammation.
Enjoy...

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment