Friday, July 23, 2010

JULY 23, 2010 LIVING IN THE MOMENT with YOUR DRY EYES





"Rest from your thoughts. Give your attention wholly to the present. Therein will come the solution, and when least expected." Thanks Karen


The present, not the past nor the future. We do not wish to shut the door on the past, just not dwell on it. The past as we have discussed is part of your life. You do not have to dwell on issues from the past. Also, projection about what will be the next day, the next week, or even next year can get you in trouble. I like to look ahead but I always see how that can get me in trouble. For example, tomorrow and Sunday is the Cherry Grove Arts Project Sale. It is the 35th year that this event has been held on Cherry Grove. I have been a participating artist for the last 5 years. Of course, I am projecting that I will sell nothing. Instead of letting it go, for some reason I tend to look at the worst. How many of us look at the worst?

You have seen some of my needle craft work on this blog. I know that because many of you have commented on its beauty and craftmanship. Yet I have doubts. Why? Because of my self esteem. Self esteem is the 5th Lifestyle Change on our 7 change pyramid. Low self esteem made me start this needle craft hobby, which can lead to an addiction to needlepoint, but it also lead to increasing my self esteem.

Live in the moment! This is the answer.

Continuing with the organs and/or conditions of the head/neck, I realized I have never discussed the eyes. Some eye conditions you can deal with yourself. However there are a few which require immediate attention by your primary care doctor or the emergency room.

Here is a list some problems/conditions that I would call a doctor or visit the ER:

1. Pain in connection with your contact lenses
2. Unusual sensitivity to light
3. Injury to the eye that involves a cut, puncture wound, or a injury (blow) that causes pain and affects vision
4. Eye inflammation after a cold or a bout of herpes I or II
5. Sudden loss of vision (even partial loss)
6. Foreign body in the eye that cannot be removed with flushing the eye with water

The above are medical eye emergencies! Please take them seriously.

For today let's start with a simple problem--DRY EYES. These poor dry eyes. These eyes are tired, they burn and sometimes tear. How could a dry eye tear? This is usually a condition of older people, but I see it commonly with younger individuals and their contact lenses, or those sitting on the beach sun bathing most of the day.

Did you know that the quantity of tear production decreases as we get older? It can sometimes be related to reduced oil production.
Other causes:
1. Medication side effects, especially the use of diuretics (water pills) can cause dry eyes
2. Diseases, especially the thyroid, rheumatological (such as lupus), rheumatoid arthritis, and Sjorgen's Syndrome (one of the connective tissue disorders)
3. Over-the Counter medications can exaccerbate your problem. Avoid the OTC that contain vasoconstrictors.
4. Dry air in the winter-- use a humidifier. Remember to clean thoroughly
5. Protect your eyes from sun and sand. Use sunglasses for protection.

Visit Cherry Grove this weekend for the Art Show "Peep Show"

Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment