Monday, July 5, 2010

JULY 5, 2010 A HIGH THERMOMETER DAY






"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible." Francis of Assi

I have done what is necessary when I started a new journey 16 years ago. It has been a journey filled with love, joy, tears, anger, sadness and happiness. It has been a roller coaster ride but it has been life on life's terms. I wouldn't say I am doing the impossible--I am doing what I love to do- Medicine. As Ruppert Everett said to me, "I am the old fashioned country doctor." It wasn't impossible to do medicine--it is that, now I am doing it better. When I was growing up I wanted to be a veterinarian. I always have loved animals. I would fix the wings of birds, clean the scratches from the cats in the neighborhood and savor the bugs/insects. I had many pets growing up. Jacques, our French poodle, Charlie, my mynah bird and Freddie, my box turtle.

Saint Francis of Assisi (Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone; 1181/1182 – October 3, 1226) was a Catholic deacon and preacher. He also was the founder of the Order of Friars Minor, more commonly known as the Franciscans.

He is known as the patron saint of animals, the environment and one of the two patrons of Italy (with Catherine of Siena), and it is customary for Catholic churches to hold ceremonies blessing animals on his feast day of 4 October.

In yesterday's blog I discussed the high and low amounts of mercury in various fish. I want to discuss the effects of heavy metals in the body. Mercury poisoning in one form or another comes from ingested organic (methyl) and inorganic (less toxic) mercury that is absorbed through the digestive tract. It can also come from inhaled mercury vapor (when a dentist removes an old silver filling, or amalgam). This mercury vapor is retained or accumulates in the respiratory system and the tissues of the body. Skin absorption of mercury can also occur. Those in my age group will remember getting a chemistry set with liquid mercury. I used to drop the mercury on the floor. Little balls of mercury would form and I would try to make one big mercury ball.

The signs and symptoms of mercury exposure/toxicity are multitude. Some are insomnia, shyness, dizziness, irritability, depression, loss of weight, weight gain and tremors. The one symptom a patient complains of is 'ringing in the ears'(tinnitus). When a patient complains of tinnitus, I know there is mercury toxicity. Some of the later signs/symptoms include numbness and tingling of lips and feet, muscle weakness, memory loss, skin problems, hearing difficulty.
Let us review where you would get mercury toxicity from:
1. Broken thermometers
2. mercury silver amalgams (dental fillings)
3. high intake of the 'wrong' fish
4. consumption of grain seeds treated with methyl mercury fungicide
5. calomel (body powders and talcs)
6. light up sneakers ( banned in Vermont, USA)
7. mercury containing cosmetics
8. fabric softeners
9. Hemorrhoid preparations
10. laxatives (containing calomel)
11. tattooing
12. polluted air and water

There are many occupations that have a higher incidence of mercury exposure. Some are dye makers, photographers, hatters, fish cannery workers, pesticide workers, and lamp makers. There are many more, but I just named a few.

I will discuss other metal intoxications and treatments in the coming blogs
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment