Saturday, July 3, 2010

JULY 3, 2010 ORGANICS and NO REGRETS






"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to BE who you really are" -e e cummings

Profound! It takes courage to do anything new. It creates fear. Did you ever think it took courage to grow up? I didn't, but it did in my case. Throughout my schools years I needed courage. I had to put up with taunting. I was a nerd with polyester pants. God did give me brains (not as much common sense). Instead of being picked on , taunted and even bruised I did many hours of home works for the bullies. In hindsight, I still would have done the same thing to avoid fighting. I was always better with my quip tongue than my fists. As I have said in other past blogs this week, I Am What I Am. I have no regrets. "Non, je ne regrette rien" (French pronunciation: [nɔ̃ ʒə nə ʁəɡʁɛt ʁjɛ̃]; No, I regret nothing) is a French song composed by Charles Dumont, with lyrics by Michel Vaucaire. It was written in 1956, and is best known through its 1960 recording by Édith Piaf. Listen to this song. It has a different meaning for everyone. Édith Piaf (French pronunciation: [edit pjaf]), born Édith Giovanna Gassion (December 19, 1915 – October 11, 1963), was a French singer and cultural icon who became universally regarded as France's greatest popular singer.

Yesterday I started talking about my passion to be green. Green can be green house furnishings, keeping a green home and yard, and of course, obviously eating green. Just look around, the organic food market has gone wild. In the last decade the amount of organic food purchased has exponentially increased. Once it was limited to a few stores. Now, it is the latest trend. Will it last? It most likely will if mega stores like WalMart are selling organic. It is not a bad idea, as more and more people will have the opportunity to try organics. Yet the price has to come down.

If you go organic in New York City you most likely shop at Whole Foods. Whole Foods started in Austin, Texas. Did you know that Fortune Magazine listed it as one of the 100 best companies to work for? So you go organic and work for them at the same time. Yeah! The smaller grocers are now starting their own organic lines. Good for them. As long as everyone has the same opportunity at competitive prices to sell organics, I am all for it. Why wouldn't I be. Even Kraft Foods has an organic macaroni and cheese.

I am not talking about going vegan, by going green. Please understand the difference. Sometimes people chose to be vegetarian because of health, religious or personal reasons. I was a vegan during my college years. I stopped eating all meat during my four years. It lasted another four years. I never excluded dairy and eggs from my diet. By the seventh year I started to eat fish. I was a vegetarian not a vegan. Vegans are very strict as they eat no animal flesh or products and even abstain from wearing animal products.

Until tomorrow... Fire Island: The Invasion and Another Blog about Benefits of Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment