Monday, July 26, 2010

JULY 26, 2010 "SEE" the Herbs and the Truth







"Our ability to identify a teacher and to learn is directly related to our open mindedness and the attitude with which we approach everyone and everything."
Thanks Karen

I thank Karen for this quote. I love people to be open minded and willing to approach everyone and everything with this concept. I also like gratitude not attitude. Unfortunately there are those who cannot grasp this concept. These people may be selfish, have low esteem, of have some type of addiction. I am a teacher. I am not a leader nor do I inspire to promote myself as a leader. I am an educator. I would hope to be 25% as affective as the greatest teacher, Sir William Osler. I am a healer of the sick and the unsick. I want to promote medical prevention and not only have a band aid approach. I do not want any aspect of medicine to be seen as a band aid approach nor any facility to be considered a band aid station. I work too hard to let that happen to anything I am affiliated with.

I have always cared for the older population. I was thrown into this, not by my own choice. When my uncle and my mother died in 1978 and 1982 respectively, they still had their parents alive--my grandparents--my Nanny and Poppy. I wanted them to obtain the highest medical care by professionals who care. I had to facilitate that. In case you didn't realize it we have an ever growing older population. Medicine and technology have allowed them to live longer, but we need professionals who care. Not only in the field of Geriatrics but in all fields of medicine. I love medicine. I love talking to older individuals. I learn a lot from them. I learn about their past, their previous occupation and their interests and hobbies. What people do not realize is that one day they also will be old and wouldn't they want a caring doctor? The sad aspect is some have sought their own medical attention but forget about it due their own narcissistic behavior, self indulgence and plain ignorance. I can't blame these individuals for they have a disease in their own right. I must just plain and simply pray for them
Those need GRATITUDE NOT ATTITUDE.

There is always a flood of medicial newsletters sent to the older population. Some of these newsletters promote the 'magic' cure or 'silver bullet agent.' The problem is that these products might be self promoting and there is no substantial research to support their use. In herbal medicine I have not found any herb for the prevention and treatment of ophthalmic conditions. I have reviewed the American Botanical Council HerbalClips in the last 3 years (2007-2010) I did not find one article on herbs for the eye. Have you heard that both bilberry and lutein are beneficial for the eyes? Is there research or personal clinical use for these herbs/supplements?
In the literature I have seen three herbs used in ophthalmic conditions. These are eyebright, pasque flower and barberry. I have seen patients use N acetylcarnosine for glaucoma for a reduction in intraocular pressure.

Euphrasia (Eyebright) is a genus of about 450 species of herbaceous flowering plants in the family Orobanchaceae (formerly included in the Scrophulariaceae), with a cosmopolitan distribution. They are semi-parasitic on grasses. The common name refers to the plant's use in treating eye infections. See Bottom Photograph The uses of eyebright for the eye are: pressure in the eyes causing tearing, itching, redness, or swelling of the eyelids; sensitivity to light; and dim vision; There are many other uses for eyebright. It has been studied by the FDA with controversial results.

Pasque flower or pasqueflower (genus Pulsatilla) is one of about 33 species of herbaceous perennials native to meadows and prairies of North America, Europe, and Asia, valued for their finely-dissected leaves, solitary bell-shaped flowers, and plumed seed heads. The pasqueflower is also commonly known as the prairie crocus, wind flower, Easter Flower, and meadow anemone. See Middle photograph. This is a tundra plant and found only in the far north where there are tundras. The Latin term is called "Little Frog". The Pasque flower is useful to treat eye diseases like cataracts (opacity on the lens of the eye), which can cause partial or complete blindness.

Berberis (pronounced /ˈbɜrbərɪs/ Bér-be-ris), the barberries or pepperidge bushes, is a genus of about 450-500 species of deciduous and evergreen shrubs from 1-5 m tall with thorny shoots, native to the temperate and subtropical regions of Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and South America. See Top Photograph There are many internal and external use of barberry (berberine). Barberry ointment was shown to significantly reduce skin eruptions in psoriasis during a German study. Berberine is used in eye ointment to treat conjunctivitis and sensitive eyes. Barberry also contains chemicals that reportedly enlarge blood vessels, thereby reducing blood pressure.

The first photograph is that of My Dancing Frog, a unique self painted needlepoint pillow. Since the Pasque or Easter Flower in Latin means 'Little Frog' I will have to put this pillow on my etsy shop as it did not sell at the Cherry Grove Arts Project "PEEP" Show. It was not a real Peep show, but an Art Show exhibiting the best of Fire Island Artists. I am proud to be one of those. Thanks to Michael and Donald for having me display.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment