Tuesday, July 27, 2010

JULY 27, 2010 My Own Merry-Go-Round




"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were really the big things." Robert Brault

You may ask who is Robert Brault? I asked the same question. Robert Brault was born on February 10 1938 in Longueuil, QB. He was a hockey player. Brault started his professional career as a hockey player with the Jonquiere Aces team in 1947. His game position was left wing. I found the above quote to be all over the Internet and it is profound. The little things in life--like your parent's birthdays, your children's baptism, Mother's Day and even just any day. As I get older I have learned that those little things turned out to be more important than I realized. I reflected on my childhood when I heard one of my parents' friends had passed. Out of respect all of my parents' friends became Aunt and Uncle. My brother, Paul and I always called them aunt/uncle and considered them part of our extended family. Their children became surrogate cousins. We all had picnics together, pool parties, and even had a bowling league night. After my mother died, my dad still kept in touch, but when he moved to South New Jersey it became more difficult.

I will always look fondly upon my childhood. Have you ever looked closely at your childhood? Was it all that bad? In recovery, I have listened to horror stories regarding parents and childhoods. Some are horrific filled with brutality, unkindness, incest and abuse. I cannot say that regarding my upbringing. I knew I was different. I do know that years of reflection make me happier to know I was loved. While walking to work this morning I was listening to the little sparrow, Edith Piaf. It was an upbeat song, Mon Manège À Moi Lyrics, translated in English to mean My Own Merry-Go-Round

Tu me fais tourner la tête
Mon manège à moi, c'est toi.
Je suis toujours à la fête
Quand tu me tiens dans tes bras

Je ferais le tour du monde
Ça ne tournerai pas plus que ça.
La terre n'est pas assez ronde
Pour m'étourdir autant que toi

Ah! Ce qu'on est bien tous les deux
Quand on est ensemble nous deux.
Quelle vie on a tous les deux
Quand on s'aime comme nous deux

On pourrait changer de planète
Tant que j'ai mon cœur près du tien.
J'entends les flonflons de la fête
Et la terre n'y est pour rien

Ah oui! Parlons-en de la terre
Pour qui elle se prend la terre?
Ma parole, y a qu'elle sur terre!
Y a qu'elle pour faire tant de mystères!

Mais pour nous y a pas de problèmes
Car c'est pour la vie qu'on s'aime
Et si y avait pas de vie même
Nous on s'aimerait quand même

Je ferais le tour du monde
Ça ne tournerai pas plus que ça.
J'ai beau cherché à la ronde
Mon manège à moi, c'est toi 

ENGLISH TRANSLATION
You (make me) turn my head
My own merry-go-round, that is you.
I am always at the fair
When you hold me in your arms

I would make a tour of the world
That will not turn more than this.
The earth is not round enough
To make me dizzy as much as you do

Ah! The two of us are fine
When we are both together.
What life the two of us have
When we love each other the way we do (lit: like the two of us)

We could change planet
As long as I have my heart close to yours.
I hear the blare from the fair
And the earth is not there for nothing

Ah yes! Let's talk about the earth
Who does the earth think it is?
My word, there is nothing but it on earth!
There is nothing but it that can make so many mysteries!

But for us there are no problems
Because we love each other for life
And if there was not even life
We would love each other even so
Because…

I would make a tour of the world
That will not turn more than this.
I have looked all around for
My own merry-go-round, that is you

Let's talk about a common disease called Glaucoma, which leads to blindness. This occurs when the normal drainage of the eye fluids is blocked. It does lead to increased intraocular pressure which eventually causes damage to the optic nerve.

The usual glaucoma cases are chronic not acute. Acute glaucoma is rare. Those with chronic glaucoma usually present with mild headaches and visual disturbances. Most people with chronic glaucoma have no symptoms until their eyesight is actually starting to have problems and begins to deteriorate.

Treatment ranges from topical medications to surgery. The natural approach is to adopt an exercise program, have regular examinations, avoid smoking, and keep food allergies under control.

Other natural remedies include:
1. Vitamin A 10,000 IU/day
2. Vitamin C up to 3,000 mg/day
3. Chromium 200umg twice a day
4. Zinc 50 mg once a day
5. Fish oils up to 3,000 mg/day
6. Rutin 50mg three times a day

Until tomorrow... more about the eyes.

1 comment:

  1. patrickf,

    I am Robert Brault, author of the quote, "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." I wrote the thought for National Enquirer in 1985, and it was reprinted in Reader's Digest in 1986. I have watched these many years as the item has been quoted on hundreds of commercial novelty items without payment to me, in dozens of periodicals and books, and in some 200,000 internet sites. No problem. because at least the item was not credited to a completely phony source, dreamed up out of somebody's fancy. This, however, is what you have done -- for what reason, God only knows. A simple Google of the name "Robert Brault" would have told you who the real author is. Shame!

    ReplyDelete