Saturday, July 17, 2010

JULY 17, 2010 SMILE, LOVE and SING OSCAR II





"To love someone is to seek his or her best and highest good"

"Love without return is like a question without an answer."

The quote we all know--'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to loved at all."
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

What is love? I know many of us have different notions about what love is. Perhaps we use the three little words too easily - I Love You. Growing up I had a mother and father who did say I love you a lot. I heard it from my mother more than my father. I heard it from my father in his later years. They both provided for my needs and said I love you, and I felt cared for. I felt safe.

It is only when I went into the world on my own, that I got different forms or states of love. I was mistreated by loved ones, and to this day, I feel the same with certain people. I have now learned to cut those people out of my life.I do not need the negative 'karma' Early in sobriety I didn't know what love was. I wanted it so badly. That was unhealthy love. The problem was that I had to love myself first. Today I love myself, which allows me to love others. When I hear I love you from those significant to me I know it is real.

Oscra Hammertsein II and Richard Rodgers wrote many love songs in their musicals South Pacific, Sound of Music, The King and I et al. A quote by Oscar Hammerstein II sums it up:

A bell is not a bell until you ring it;
A song is not a song until you sing it
Love in your heart is not put there to stay;
Love is not LOVE until you give it away.

Today's blogging should be about heart disease. The organ of love. However continuing with the theme of the mouth, I want to discuss gum disease. Periodontal disease and the incidence of heart disease are directly correleated. The meridians of the mouth are in direct line with the meridians of the heart. So those with poor dental hygiene or gum disease listen up very carefully!!!

If gum disease is not a problem then why do 40 million Americans suffer from it? The plant is rooted in the ground, as your teeth are rooted in the gums. If the ground is contaminated or erodes, the plant will suffer and die. See it comes back to those plants and botany! The same thing can happen if the bone supporting your teeth erodes, the teeth will fall out.

The drug Fosomax used to treat Osteoporosis has been shown to cause Jaw necrosis as a side effect. The jaw gets necrotic and the teeth fall out. It is the same when a dentist wants to put a 'post' in. He should check your bone status by a DEXA scan or at least ask if you have had one. If you have osteopenia or osteoporosis I suggest you do not get a post. The first sign of periodontal disease is gingivitis. This is the inflammation of the gum tissue. The loose gum line allows pockets to form. The gum is tender, swollen and bleeds easily when flossing. These pockets collect food debris allowing bacteria to multiply and attack the tissue. The bones start to erode and this is called periodontal disease. The teeth rot and begin to fall out. Or the dentist must pull the teeth. This can lead to bridges if you are lucky, but can end up with dentures for the individual. This gum inflammation is called gingivitis. You must remove the food within the pockets that form. You must do this by brushing, flossing or I prefer dental water piks.

You cannot remove hard plaque or tartar this way. You will need a proper dental hygienist and a good cleaning. There are signs of periodontal disease. The first one, halitosis was discussed previously. Then there is bleeding gums, receding gums and malpositioned teeth. All are signs of periodontal disease. I am not a dentist but have seen the correlation between bacteria in the mouth and a serum blood marker for inflammation/infection of the heart. This serum blood marker is called the HS-CRP (high sensitive C reactive protein) or the cardiac C reactive protein. If I encounter a high or elevated HS-CRP on a routine blood screening I will ask as usual about their dental hygiene. Today there is much research about this correlation. In Reversing Gum Disease Naturally by Sandra Senzon, these points are well discussed. There is a list to consider to prevent periodontal disease thus helping you NOT develop heart disease.

1. Sleep well - immune system gets restored. I woke up early as usual and sleep my usual 4-5 hours. Not good enough. My immune system needs more rejuvenation.

2. Eat a proper diet. Again it comes back to the Lifestyle Pyramid. Dietary Lifestyle Changes

3. Use vitamin and supplementation for your body. Can't say enough about this topic.

4. Drink soothing liquids - this does not include whiskey, wine or vodka--at least it doesn't in my case.

5. Rinse frequently - I use herbal cleanses for my teeth. I now am making my own tinctures with 7song. Two are brewing in the closet-prepared from the herbs Rick and I grew on the terrace.

6. Massage the gum tissue- use an herbal toothpaste. I use baking soda, Tom's toothpaste and Senzon's new toothpaste.

7. Oxygenate - this does not mean having someone inject hydrogen peroxide in your teeth, nor drinking oxygenated water. It means deeper breathing techniques.

8. Think positively- this comes from practicing your 4-7-8- breathing, meditation and positive mantra . Put a positive mantra in the bathroom on the mirror in your own hand writing, so you will see it first thing each morning.

I used to be On My Own. Not a lot, as I am one-man relationship person since 16 years ago. I have always loved les Miserables and the song On My Own. It ties in the self love you always have on your own and the love of another person. You all know my love...

And now I'm all alone again, no where to go no one to turn to,
without a hope without a friend without a face to say hello to.
And now the night is near,
And I can make believe he's here.

Sometimes I walk alone at night
When everybody else is sleeping
I think of him and then I'm happy
With the company I'm keeping
The city goes to bed
And I can live inside my head.

On my own
Pretending he's beside me
All alone, I walk with him till morning
Without him
I feel his arms around me
And when I lose my way I close my eyes
And he has found me

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me for ever and forever

And I know it's only in my mind
That I'm talking to myself and not to him
And although I know that he is blind
Still I say, there's a way for us

I love him
But when the night is over
He is gone, the river's just a river
Without him the world around me changes
The trees are bare and everywhere
The streets are full of strangers

I love him
But every day I'm learning
All my life I've only been pretending
Without me his world will go on turning
A world that's full of happiness
That I have never known!

I love him
I love him
I love him
But only on my own.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment