Sunday, June 5, 2011

JUNE 13, 2011 A SENSE OF BELONGING













"By building relations we create a source of love and personal pride and belonging that makes living in a chaotic world easier." -Susan Lieberman


Who doesn't want to feel a sense of belonging? I certainly wanted to belong from an early age. I never felt that sense of belonging while growing up. I was not the sports minded kid, so when I got home from school I studied and did my homework first, then went out to play. I wasn't a good athlete. I could ice skate well, but not much else. I tried to fit in to every group. I was in the nerd group in middle and high school. I joined the clubs that dealt with writing and science. I still felt I didn't belong.

The first real educational experience I felt part of was my Integrative Medicine Fellowship at University of Arizona. The second was with my fellow students at the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine, and the third with fellow herbalists at our conferences. Aside from education, I have the greatest sense of belonging in my twelve step program. I wouldn't have anything in my life if not for that.

I started to feel part of the gay community as a writer for a national gay magazine and volunteering my medical services in a gay community. The latter has dwindled since I gave up this volunteer experience, and my respect for gay comradery in this community is almost extinct. People, places and things have changed. But the one and most important belonging is to one individual whom I love so dearly-F.E.B.



Recently I was allowed to experience a new sense of belonging to a group of individuals I hardly know. On June 5, 2011, I was initiated into the Green Temple of the Holy Clovers. It is not to be confused with The Green Man: Wiccian Studies. Green Temple of the Holy Clovers is a gathering of people of healing around a campfire. This year due to rain we gathered on the porch of the Robert E. Lee Hall at the oldest YMCA- Blue Ridge Assembly, also the home for the Black Mountain College.

The leader was Cascade Anderson Geller, a unique woman and herbalist. She told a story about having tea in Marshfeld, VT with friend, Rosemary Gladstar. Both were invited to Adele Dawson's home to have tea. Adele was a renowned herbal elder and wise woman living in the hills. She wrote a book, Herbs: Partners in Life. She continued the story telling that Adele died in her nineties and wanted a church or temple of the Green to be formed.

For years both Rosemary and Cascade sat on the idea. According to Cascade, at the Medicine of the Earth conference 4 -5 years ago she started the tradition of herbal sharing around the fire. She called it (temporarily), The Green Temple of the Holy Clovers. She said that Adele's wish still needs to carried out. I was initiated with water and witch hazel and received a greeting from the group. I told my own herbal healing story. I feel a sense of belonging when I am with natural healers. I feel different inside. I always feel so good when among herbalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment