Thursday, June 16, 2011

JUNE 22, 2011 NUTMEG


















"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing."


Do you love what you do? Are you fulfilled? Do you like or even love your job? I love helping people. I love talking to people. I love educating people.


This G.O.D. chosen profession was chosen for me. I did not make the decision to be a doctor. It just happened. Sure I aspired to be a doctor. I did not want to go into medicine as it is today. I want to be a healer. My British friend, Rup calls me the country doctor. I like that. I want to practice medicine the way it was intended to be practiced. Not with bureaucratic red tape and insurance and pharmaceutical rules and regulations. Can you imagine trying to pre-certify a test for a patient, and being denied the request? I am denied not by a health professional but by an individual who knows nothing about medicine. The system is ridiculous.


I am having fun at what I am doing because I use natural medicine to heal in addition to conventional medications if needed. If I had to rely on all conventional modalities, I would never have lasted this long.


My dream: To practice as a country doctor with his farm, herbs, and bees.


I was fortunate to travel and study on Spice Island, also known as Grenada. I also did my clinicals at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, St. Vincent and Petit, St. Vincent. Most of my clinical training was done in London, England.

When I read about Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans) and Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia) I automatically think of Grenada. Fresh nutmeg. The Grenadians whisper about nutmeg as the fruit is known as an intoxicating sexual stimulant. The nut occurs inside a fleshy pericarp. It is very similar to the English Walnut. I love the wrap-like red lace around the nut called Mace. The seeds are ground into the spice and used in a variety of cereals especially oatmeal and porridge.

The traditional use of nutmeg has been for gastrointestinal diseases. Nutmeg can be used as an antiemetic (effective against vomiting and nausea). I have also seen it written as treatment for anxiety and depression.


Do not forget your nutmeg in your next cup of tea..oh and the honey also


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment