Thursday, June 23, 2011

JUNE 27, 2011 PART I: LYME WARS












"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." Frank Clark



I do not know any individual who hasn't had some obstacle in their life. Even as I make progress living life on life's terms, there are still many obstacles. Navigating these obstacles led me to where I am today. We all need obstacles to improve our lives. Some of my obstacles were due to addictions and entering a 12 step program, some related to personal relationship and others related to work. Prayer and meditation help me with my obstacles.

With the ever changing medical system in the United States I am frustrated with how 'others' want physicians to practice medicine. I know individuals have to see other health care professionals to get to their answers. Why is this? It is because there is not enough time for any single practitioner to communicate fully with the patient. Although I understand this, I took it personal. I had to get 'straightened out'. Unlike years ago, many patients are well informed now due to the Internet and the extensive research opportunities it provides. I feel when I do not see a patient for a long time that I have failed. A great friend and health care professional said, "Even if the patient is exploring their options, they really never stop thinking of you as one of their doctors." I knew that! My stinking thinking got in the way. I have been taking things too personally these days. When this happens I know that more meditating, praying and speaking to the right people needs to take place. General life has been getting in the way.



One of the obstacles that conventional medicine is not overcoming very well right now is Lyme Disease. Unfortunately conventional or Allopathic doctors do NOT believe in Chronic Lyme Disease. This is a major problem since antibiotics are not enough. Whatever you heard about Lyme Disease I would forget right now.

I have been dealing with Lyme patients for more than 15 years. It not a rare disease. It is an epidemic of unbelievable proportions. We all think that the deer tick is the only way Lyme is transmitted. But this is NOT AT ALL TRUE.

Lyme can be transmitted by other insects including flea, mosquitoes and mites. This needs to be communicated to the small communities on Fire Island, New York. It can also be spread by human to human contact. I have stated before the CDC recognized labs that are used for detection of Lyme are INACCURATE. I send blood specimens to many insurance covered laboratories . I never know if a negative test is truly negative. I usually send the blood specimens to Igenix Labs in Palo Alto, California. The only problem is that insurances will not cover the cost of this lab. Another fallacy is that you must have a bull's eye rash after you get bitten. This is also NOT TRUE. In a third of the patients there is NO rash. The spirochete Borrelia has been detected in urine, breast milk, tears, and even semen. The question is, Can Lyme be a sexually transmitted disease? The Borrelia spirochetes have been known to attach themselves to more than 300 different species.

In addition to humans, be careful with your pets especially dogs, cats and horses. Borrelia burgdorfi was named after its discovery in 1982 by researcher Willy Burgdorfer. This a complex organism. It hides in tissues in its cyst phase. It is a spirochete like the greatest spirochete, Treponema pallidum- which causes syphilis (aka the Great Masquerader). Another name which I heard herbalist Timothy Scott use is 'Master of Elusiveness'. It is elusive because it is invisible to the immune response when in the cyst form.

Forgetting about the multiple antibiotics used, I want to focus on using herbs to heal Lyme.

There are many conventional books on Lyme Disease. One of the best books on Lyme is Healing Lyme by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Some of his other books worth reading are Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Drug Resistant Bacteria and Sacred Plant Medicine.

Photographs:

Invasive Plant Medicine by Timothy Scott

Timothy Scott

Healing Lyme by Stephen Harod Buhner



Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment