Saturday, June 25, 2011

JUNE 28, 2011 International Herbal Symposium












"The way we think about ourselves determines how we behave and who we become."



In the past, when I was not in a 12step program I did not think that highly of myself. When I got sober my self image began to shift but I didn't have the support I needed in a relationship. Today, life is so different. When you receive encouragement, love and support in your endeavors it changes how you feel about yourself. Not only has the love and support from a life partner changed how I feel, but I began to behave differently. My behavior and my outlook on the future have changed. My professional work has been inspirational and an enriching experience. Last week at the International Herbal Symposium (IHS) I got to meet, discuss, and lecture with the finest international herbalists. I was among some of the world's most respected and honored herbal healers. These men and women shared their wisdom, love and knowledge of the plant world. I am a most grateful man.

There is a need for planetary consciousness among all people now more than ever. I have found that as an herbalist I, like many others have a unique connection to the healing consciousness using plant medicines of the Earth. I have met herbalists from all walks of life. It is surely an eclectic group of individuals who represent all aspects of green.

Learn to love the green.

At IHS I had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Rocio Alarcon from Ecuador. I listened to her tell of the ancient healing ceremonies as part of treatment in Ecuador and other South American countries. Every culture has different processes for healing. Being ill impacts our entire body: physical, emotional and energetic.

Rocio Alcaron is truly a shaman. She is a healer. I couldn't tell you what a shaman was 20 years ago. Through reading, attending seminars and meeting a shaman I can tell you this. I now have an understanding that a shaman is a bridge between the natural and supernatural. Another way to express this is between the 'mundane' and the spirits of nature. The shaman uses a variety of techniques in healing.

Rick and I had the experience of meeting a shaman in Havana, Cuba. This shaman used tobacco smoke to clean and purify my body. This shaman prayed while she blew the smoke around my body. It was quite an experience.

Some shamans bathe with plants, clean the body with plants, clean the body with candles and even drink beverages from 'sacred plants'. I want you to have respect for the plants, the water, and the air. I want all to have respect for the environment. Not only was IHS an amazing learning experience but the proceeds support the United Plant Savers. This organization is dedicated to preserving at risk native medicinal plants and ensuring an abundant renewable supply of herbs through organic cultivation.






Despite all the technological advances in medicine, we are still falling short. The answers are out there in our own environment, especially in the plants. We must start to accept the validity of ancient and folk medicine, especially in herbal studies as these practices developed millenniums ago from different cultures.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment