Friday, June 3, 2011

JUNE 8, 2011 DO YOU REMEMBER VICKS VAPORUB?












"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone."- Bill Cosby



I am not sure that I know the key to success, but I do know you must be happy if you want any success in life. I used to be one of those individuals who tried to please everyone. I realize now that this is not possible. Now it is a good reality check for me. There will be some individuals who will not be pleased if I change a policy in the office, or change my office hours. I cannot do it all. I am just one person. I am human. Did you ever feel that sometimes others think you are superman? There is only so much one individual can do. As long as you try to the best of your ability then everything is fine.



I wanted to talk about honeybee again, but I have to discuss an herb. So I decided that I can discuss honeybee as the primary pollinator of Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis). I know many herbalists who use this herb in cough syrups as an expectorant. It is even sold in some mouthwashes. I do not think it is as popular as thyme is in mouthwashes (it is in Listerine). It has been sold as a product known as Viadent.

It is specifically used in respiratory disorders. When discussing the 1918 Influenza Pandemic, the herb Bloodroot always enters the conversation. Of course you must understand this conversation would not take place between me and an Allopathic (conventional physician), but instead with me and an herbalist (RH) or possibly another open minded 'eclectic' version of a physician. One RH compared its action to that of Lobelia. Only recently have I used Lobelia as a remedy for respiratory (lung) ailments.

The eclectic physicians of yesteryear sometimes used Bloodroot in combination with Eucalyptus after clearing of the infection when the patient still had a wrenching cough. I like this use after pneumonia when so many patients have difficulty clearing the secretions. This reminds me of the vaporizer and rubbing Vick's on my chest. I couldn't sit still when my mom did this. I wiggled and had a uncontrollable laugh when she attempted to rub my chest.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment