Sunday, June 26, 2011

JUNE 29, 2011 PART II: LYME WARS












"Success doesn't come to you... you go it."


Nothing in life should come easy. You might think it does, but think again. You have worked hard
to get where you are. This success must be sought after. You must go to it and make it your own. Working hard does reap awards. The awards may not necessarily be monetary. Usually the success is not. It might be success in having a healthy life. Success in achieving serenity and peace. I have been successful, yet I always yearn for more. Did you ever feel there is more that life has to offer? I have felt that way. Yes, I am an over achiever. Perhaps it is the Gemini quality in me. My serenity/peace started when I decided that enough was enough, I was tired of being sick and tired and entered a 12 step program. It is a journey which I am still on. It has been a process with progress that has led me where I am today. I am among my friends-the plants. I was intended to heal. I am in a GOD chosen healing profession using every modality that Mother Earth has bestowed upon us. I am grateful.



There is so much to learn and not enough time. I wish I had more time. Since I have realized that conventional medicine has its limits, side effects and cost, I opted to learn, teach and lecture about other modalities of healing. One of these modalities is as close to my heart as it is close to the ground: plants/herbs.

At the International Herbal Symposium last weekend, I had yet another opportunity for which I am very grateful. I attended informative lectures on herbs for Lyme. This only reinforced my use of herbs and shed light on other herbs as well as supplements to use. As we have been in the midst of a Lyme Disease epidemic it is important to know that antibiotics do not always work. I have seen this year after year, and the longer we use the same antibiotics we will get resistance.

There are six areas in humans affected by the spirochete.

1. Neuroborreliosis - affects the brain, spinal cord, causes brain damage and brain atrophy

2.Lyme arthritis - self explanatory wide range of joints affected

3. Lyme carditis - heart complications as chest pain and palpitations; slow arrhythmias

4. Ocular-borreliosis - eye and ear; floaters

5. Mental/emotional- can be anxiety or depression; deep thought provocative questions

6. Other collateral diseases, such as thyroid, adrenal, yeast sensitivity, heavy metal intoxication and most important coexisting co-infections like babeiosis, bartonella, ehrlichiosis


If you get bit by a tick you should do the following

1. Contact your health care professional

2. Make appointment for blood testing; have the doctor test all coinfections. Since western blot testing by CDC is not always accurate, ask doctor to use Igenix Lab in California.

3. Try to remove the tick if possible. Or call your doctor or go to the ER.

4. Start treatment: antibiotics for 3 days if just bit or 28 day courses. Or a course of 'herbal antibiotics' if your doctor has experience with these.


Remember: THERE IS NO VACCINE AGAINST LYME



Before discussing herbs, I want the patient to start a number of antioxidants. These may be given intravenously or orally. When I see and record 'leaky gut syndrome' or irritable bowel in Lyme patients I prefer intravenous administration. These include the B vitamins, Vitamin C and trace minerals especially selenium, zinc and copper. I also want to support the Gastrointestinal tract with glutamine, a probiotic and herbs to strengthen the liver like milk thistle. I sometimes add nervines for anxiety especially skullcap and passion flower.

Photograph credit: Me; Taken at the IHS in Norton Massachusetts at Wheaton College. I made two new friends- Squire and White Oak. I hugged my friend, White Oak. Seriously I wrapped my arms around him and thanked him. It was refreshing...



More herbs... specifically for Lyme


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment