Saturday, June 11, 2011

JUNE 16, 2011 ACKNOWLEDGING LIFE














My wish for you:



COMFORT on difficult days, SMILES when sadness intrudes, RAINBOWS to follow the clouds, LAUGHTER to kiss your lips, SUNSETS to warm your heart, HUGS when spirits sag (get three hugs a day), BEAUTY for your eyes to see, FRIENDSHIP to brighten your being, FAITH so that you can believe, CONFIDENCE for when you doubt, COURAGE to know yourself, PATIENCE to accept the truth, LOVE to complete your life.




Why do I use herbs and botanicals? The simple answer is that it makes sense to me. The same answer is applied when individuals ask why do I love bees and beekeeping? It makes sense to me. I see botanicals and bees as some of Earth's gifts to man. Herbal medicine represents a synthesis of so many fields. Some of these fields are Botany, History, Ethnomedicine and Pharmacology. I am trying to educate colleagues about plants-- not as toxins, but for their medicinal uses. Most if not all of our medicines today come from PLANTS.

There are many ways to treat a patient with a disease. There is a very large toolbox of Allopathic or conventional medicines, procedures and treatments. There is a larger toolbox of herbs known and an even larger one of herbs and plants not yet known to work for certain diseases.

I know that herbs offer a different approach to treating chronic disease. My personal belief is that herbs work better than some traditional treatments. I know not every conventional doctor feels this way about treating their patients with herbs.

But would that same doctor treat his beloved dog with an herb instead of using a toxic conventional medicine? The answer is probably yes. Your pets are your children (especially when your own are in college or applying to veterinary school). Our pets are part of the family. Grant, Spencer, Jack and Gracie are our children. Gracie might be the only one who speaks back, but the tongue lashing from Grant (Gums), Spencer's wagging tail and Jack's cuddling are precious modes of communication too. I am delighted to know that there are veterinarians who use herbs. There relationship between animals and plants continues to evolve.

Our Native Americans depended on their domestic animals. They had a greater understanding and knowledge of plant medicine, too.

I want to have that knowledge also.

So as I get a year older today, I want to acknowledge my ancestors and thank my Higher Power for allowing me the privilege to rediscover plants, love, family, children, and LIFE.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment