Thursday, June 9, 2011

JUNE 14, 2011 OSTEOPOROSIS







"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning."




Love is just a 4 letter word. For me, I used the word too loosely in the past. When that someone came along, and I knew it was for real- I began to say the word LOVE and really mean it. Sure I love my family, friends and my patients, but I truly 'love love' another person. I am in love and truly express it, and more importantly live it."


Do you have love?

In the news again is Vitamin D supplementation. How much do they recommend? Well it is 800 mg - I think that is way too low. I give a lot more and have never seen vitamin D intoxication or abnormalities in the liver enzymes. You may ask - why the liver? Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and high levels can affect the liver enzymes.


We do know that sound nutritional advice is essential for normal growth and development of bones. Dietary calcium is the key nutrient for attaining peak bone mass. This prevents the deadly osteoporosis, a major risk factor for fractures.



Osteoporosis was once though to be a disease of post menopausal females. I see and treat many men with osteoporosis, especially those with irritable bowel (Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or other malabsorption issues). Young men can develop bone disease.

Do you know any risk factors for developing osteoporosis ?


Here is a short list:

1. High sugar diets

2. Refined grains and flours, especially white flour

3. Caffeine

4. Soda or Pop

5. Smoking

6. Alcohol

7. Other heavy metal intoxication; for example, aluminum toxicity




Since calcium is the essential element for prevention, let me tell you about what foods contain calcium:



These are:

1. Dark green leafy vegetables

2. Dairy products (do not forget many individuals are allergic to cow's dairy)

3. Sesame seeds

4. Calcium fortified drinks

5. Soy foods

6. Tofu




The daily recommendation for calcium is 1200mg - 1500mg per day. I usually go a little higher than that. To get 600mg of calcium you will get


1. the first 300mg from dairy (source from food)


2. the second 300mg from non-dairy foods


3. an additional 600mg from calcium supplements


Total: 1200 mg

The most readily absorbed form of calcium is calcium citrate.

The reason you need vitamin D is because it enhances intestinal calcium absorption. The combination of calcium and Vitamin D is the key.

There are other key supplements I add to a patient's regimen. I want a good bone formula like Osteobalance ( http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/ ) I always want the trace minerals - for example manganese, copper, and zinc. All three are essential. I like to add the B vitamins especially folic acid and B6. Vitamin K is a requirement for the production of osteocalcin. Osteocalcin attracts calcium to bone tissue. Vitamin K is essential in formation, remodeling and repair of bone.

And lastly, but never forgotten is Vitamin C. Some federal agencies and insurance carriers have banned Vitamin C intravenously. Check out http://www.vitamincfoundation.com/

Vitamin C promotes cross linking for the structural proteins in bone.

So keep your healthy bones -Healthy



Until tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment