Wednesday, June 15, 2011

JUNE 18, 2011 PETS RULE, HERBS RULE








"WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE WANT TO DO IF WE STICK TO IT LONG ENOUGH."
- Helen Keller


I have come to realize that anything is possible if I work at it. It sounds so 'pollyanna' but it is so true. Just think of any hobby you have decided to do. You start off slow, you make mistakes and little by little, day by day, you get better. This is the case with my knitting. I had to pull out my knits and purls many times before I perfected the dance of the needles and the yarn.

I never gave up. There are many situations in the past when I have given up. Today, giving up is not an option. I will ask for assistance in any form before I decide to quit. This is something I never did before. I am humble. I am only human after all.


Herbal medicine is one of the oldest forms of treatment known and used by all races of people. In 1998 (13 years ago ) the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated that botanical medicines were used by 70% of the world population. In clinical practice I can only assume from observations that this percentage now exceeds 85-90%. It is also no surprise that these same people have used these plant medicines not only for themselves, but for their pets. I am one of those individuals. I would want herbal medicine to remain holistic and purest as well as empiricist and not attempt to change the ideals and philosophy of herbalists. This is hard to do when modern medicine tries to incorporate herbs as drugs.

The regulatory status and quality control of herbs worldwide is as diverse as the countries these herbs hail from. There is a wide range of products ranging from crude herbs to standardized. In most countries herbs are regarded as food supplements and no therapeutic claims can be made. There is now an incentive for countries to export their native herbs to other countries. For veterinary herbal products the regulatory requirements are even less developed than that for the human herbal products. I am at odds with myself on this. I do know we need regulations but I do not want the same regulations for drugs (FDA) to rule herbal medicine. Two excellent places to get pure organically grown herbs in bulk are Mountain Rose Herbs and Frontier Herbs.

The writing is on the wall. If 62% of American households own a pet, there is a need for herbal veterinary medicine. In old veterinary textbooks until the 1960's herbs were regarded as a standard treatment of care. It wasn't until 1994 when the DSHEA (Dietary Supplement Health Education Act) became law that individuals started to look closely at regulations.

The FDA took a position that the above act does not apply to animals.

Reading all these regulations from 1994 to date would make anyone confused and anxious.

This is the point: If you want to treat your pet with herbs and supplements- you may do so. Consult your veterinarian for more information or be proactive for your animal and start researching herbs and supplements for your pet.

Your pet is part of your family.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment