Thursday, June 16, 2011

JUNE 21, 2011 WHAT ARE HERBAL BALLS ?







"A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel."



I wish I could say the above for my knitting, but I have the answer in a simple plastic twist. I also have most of the answer in a simple prayer. When I was a child I always said a prayer before I went to bed: Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, And if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to keep." I do not recall when I learned that prayer. I pray/meditate quietly and silently on the terrace when I get up each morning. I say good morning, "G.O.D." And I say thank you before I lay my head to sleep. It is a ritual. The ritual started after I entered a 12 step program. It was a slow start, but prayer/meditation - the 11th step finally entered my life. I couldn't imagine a life without the 11th step. At seventeen years in a 12 step program today--it is beyond my wildest dreams.

You never know what you are going to learn when you listen to a lecture by Rosemary Gladstar. For sure it will be innovative, educational, invigorating and different. What do you think of when you hear the word 'herbal'? I used to think of tinctures and teas. I never thought of herbs as food nor food as medicine until I read Adele Davis, Carlton Fredericks, Marion Nestle, Andrew Weil and many others. Medicinal herbs can be made into soups, sprinkled on salads, and even drank as a 'Green Shake'. When I was a child the fennel was brought to the table to settle the stomach in between meal courses at our usual 20 person Sunday meal. I love fennel.

I learned from Rosemary how to make HERBAL BALLS. At first it didn't sound appealing or inviting. She uses them for children as well as the elderly. In reality, the elderly person who is chronically ill can behave like a child. Rosemary has HERBAL BALLS galore!

Here is the formula from her lecture 'Medicine can be a Ball' at the Medicine from the Earth Conference 2010 in the Black Mountains, North Carolina--


HERBAL THROAT BALLS

The following are approximations, she suggests to adjust the flavor to your own personal taste or your child's taste.

1. 1/2 tsp. of goldenseal powder

2. 1/2 tsp of echinacea powder

3. 1/2 tsp. of myrrth powder

4. 1/2 tsp of chaparral powder and comfrey root powder - enough to thicken into paste

5. Carob powder for flavor (if you like the taste of carob)

6. Honey to flavor (I naturally would prefer raw, unfiltered honey from your region)

7. Peppermint oil to flavor (I still prefer honey)

8. Water



Mix the first 3 powders together. Add enough water to make a paste. Add the flavor of your choice - I prefer honey -do you get the point? Add the comfrey or slippery elm to thicken. For those who bake they will get this part - Knead the 'herbal mix' as if it were dough. Thicken to your liking by adding more comfrey and/or slippery elm.

Roll into marble size balls. These are your Herbal Throat Balls. Keep in the refrigerator. The taste will be a little peppermint and soothing your throat

Thank you Rosemary ....

Have fun making your balls---I did !



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment