Wednesday, June 15, 2011

JUNE 19, 2011 POLLINATOR WEEK June 20-27




















In 2006, the United States Senate unanimously approved and designed June 20 - June 27 as National Pollinator Week.




Many of our native pollinator populations are on the decline. For one, there is the decline in the honeybees. There is a decline in bats, birds and even butterflies. All natural pollinators are vital to our ecosystem, and the agricultural industry we rely on for our food.

Go to the natural food store and buy almonds. Did you ever think how almonds come to be? The honeybees have to pollinate the almond trees in California. It is the same with other fruits and vegetables. This is why we need beekeepers! It is a good thing that we have National Pollinator Week. It shows concern by the United States Government. Even the White House has a beehive. I hope to arrange a visit to their beehive in late August.

Lately I have decide on government candidates by how much he/she is preserving our Mother Earth. I feel this is the most important issue.

The growing concern for pollinators is a sign of definite progress. We need to continue to talk about it and get more people involved. Even if you DO NOT want to raise bees and have a beehive, you can still join your local beekeeping society. Please pass this message to everyone you know.



Are you planting this year? Do you need to add more plants to your garden? Find out what plants will attract certain pollinators. In 1997, Pollinator Partnership was formed. It is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the health, protection and conservation of pollinating animals. It promotes the health of these pollinators through conversation education and research. Check out http://www.pollinator.org/

I also recommend the book, Attracting Native Pollinators, with forward by Dr. Marla Spivak. It is a fascinating look at why these native pollinators are so crucial to our ecosystem and the continuation of agricultural industry. Another book I enjoyed reading was Bringing Nature Home.

For my birthday last week I received two precious gifts - one is the 1901 first edition of Life of a Bee. Rick knew it would add a smile to my face. It also made me think how well he knows me. I also received The Bee Keeper's Lament and Honeybee Democracy. They came from Amazon but I didn't order anything. It was from my dear friend/'mom' Barbara. I had the pleasure of talking about bees last week at her house over dinner. I am a most grateful man!


Until tomorrow...




To all those who have had the privilege and honor of being a father and to those fathers who are no longer here physically, but always spiritually- Happy Fathers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment