Thursday, June 2, 2011

JUNE 5, 2011 NOCTURNAL POLLINATORS












"The inhumanity of man to man is the greatest atrocity."

What one human being does to another human being is sometimes beyond words. In 1915, Paul Hoeber stated in the introduction to William Osler's book Man's Redemption of Man:

"The history of man is a story of great martyrdom---plague, pestilence and famine, battle and murder, crimes unspeakable, tortures inconceivable, and the inhumanity of man to man has even outdone what appears to be atrocities in nature."



Today these words still send an errie feeling throughout my bones. You read these atrocities in the paper on a daily basis, and even watch the television to view these crimes. Why do we treat each other so poorly? This is good cause for me not to read the papers, nor view the news. I want to surround myself with love, happiness, peace and serenity. I do not want to be stressed and disturbed by listening to the news. At least listening to the radio in past years did not conjure up such disturbing images. The news can be an addiction. One in which anger, resentment and rage swell inside us.


I am always trying to stay within my comfort zone. I struggle as you do on a daily basis to keep people, places and things in an order that supports my perfect model. However today at least I know there is no perfection, only progress. When someone in my life starts behaving in a way that is outside my expectations, my mind starts saying, What should I do about this? How can I fix the problem? I try to get back into my comfort zone. My comfort zone used to be so important. Yes I try to stay in my comfort zone but it is limited. I WANT TO BE LIMITLE$SS. Today I am devoting time to freeing myself from the limits of this imperfect model. I am working on freedom and letting go of my inner cage.

Sitting at my bedside is a new book, Natural Pollinators. I always discuss the honeybees and the need to protect them as honeybees pollinate most of our crops. After dark, the moths and bats take over the pollinating night shift. So think twice when you crush a moth. Do not kill a moth or a bat. The New York brown bat population is steadily declining as quickly as the honeybee population. Pale or white flowers heavy with fragrance and copious nectar attract these moths and bats. Moths will not hurt you. The Hawkmoth and Noctuid moths are the main nocturnal pollinators. The flowers they pollinate reflect the moonlight. These flowers have a sweet perfume scent like the night blooming cactus or yucca species.

I have not specifically studied moths, but during my time in Tucson studying at the Integrative Fellowship I visited the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum more than once. This is where I first earned about moths. There was a video there of a large Hawkmoth unfurling its 4 inch proboscis to drink from a trumpet shaped flower. I was in awe. These moths are seen throughout the Southwest and are the best pollinators of the sacred Datura, sweet four o'clocks and even evening primrose. The Yucca species are also pollinated by small satin white yucca moths. I do not know the moths of the Northeast. Learning about them is on my to do list.

Since I have planted various flowers/herbs for bees, songbirds, and humming birds, it is my preoccupation to now plant a variety of night blooming flowers and fragrant plants for my new friends--the moths.

I was inspired to write about moths today after viewing 7song's photographs of what I assume are Northeast Moths from Ithaca, New York.

Photograph credit: 7song, RH, Ithaca, NY

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment