Wednesday, July 6, 2011

JULY 10, 2011 MARRY ME A LITTLE, MARRY ME A LOT













"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." --Abraham Lincoln


When I read quotes from historical figures such as our past presidents, I wonder can these quotes be applicable to the twenty first century? For centuries, different races, religions and sexual orientations have been denied freedom. It predates Abraham Lincoln's time and extends into the twentieth century with Martin Luther King and John F Kennedy. In 1969, the Stonewall Riots created quite a stir in Greenwich Village, New York and sparked the Gay Rights movement.

Since 1969 there have been great strides in the lesbian, gay, and transgender communities not only in New York City, but throughout major cities in the United States. With much struggle and strife New York State legalized same sex marriages. It is a triumph. Yes- I am proud of this . At this point there is still some finalization with the wording- husband and wife should be husband and husband or wife and wife, but these are minor details. For same sex couples who have been together for years, what will marriage offer? It will offer the same rights as heterosexual couples with health insurance and taxes. There might be some financial benefits. Certainly a hospital cannot deny the wife of a patient (who also happens to be a woman) the right to see them and make decisions.

So, will there be lots of marriages? I am sure there will be- but it should be for the right reasons.
There is a lid for every pot - so no more I will say.


I was wondering about marriage vows-- So listening to Michael Ferreri album, Sweet Dreams on my iPod I decided on the lyrics below... FOR ME (Remember you read it here first)



Rick:


Marry me a little,

Love me just enough.

Cry, but not too often

Play but not too rough


Keep a tender distance

so we'll both be free.

That's the way it ought to be.


I'm ready


Marry me a little,

Do it with a will.

Make a few demands

I'm able to fulfill.


Want me more than others

Definitely exclusively,

That's the way it ought to be.


I'm ready


I'm ready now


You can be my best friend,

I can be your right arm

We'll go through a fight or two

No harm, with no harm

We'll look not too deep,

We'll go not too far.

We won't have to give up a thing

We'll stay who we are



Someone ...named Rick

Marry me a little,

Love me just enough

Warm and sweet and easy,

Just the simple stuff

Keep a tender distance

So we'll both be free

That's the way it ought to be.



I'm ready

Marry me a little.

Body, heart and soul

Passionate as hell

But always in control


Want me first and foremost

Keep me company

That's the way it ought to be



Oh, how gently we will talk,

Oh, how softly we will tread

All the stings

The ugly things

We will keep unsaid.

We will build a bee hive (home)

Of love and respect

You promise whatever you like,

I'll never collect

Right?



Okay then

I'm ready

I'm ready now...

Let's get married ....




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment