Tuesday, July 5, 2011

JULY 7, 2011 PART VI: LYME WARS












"Freedom means the right to be different, the right to be oneself."



I am free. I have experienced freedom. I have the right to be different and to be myself. Everyone has that right. Jerry Herman wrote the lyrics to a song which is an anthem for many gay individuals - "I Am What I Am". When performed on the Broadway stage by George Hearn in "La Cage" in the 1970's I didn't really understand what the lyrics meant. Today I understand perfectly. So I am different in many regards. I practice medicine with all natural modalities. I am different as I enjoy knitting and needlepoint as a man. I am different as I love plants, the earth and bees. I had the unique pleasure of hearing this song performed by my friend, Donald. He was fierce. He is an example of a man I admire . I want to be myself among friends, family and my patients. I will not hide any longer. I had the mask for years. The mask is lifted and it is 'me'. Simply put, I Am what I Am.




The core herbal protocol for Lyme disease includes Japanese Knotweed, Andrographis and Cat's Claw. In addition there are two other herbs, sarsaparilla and astragalus. The herb, Smilax glabra, also known as sarsaparilla is a systemic herb with a wide range of actions in the body many of which are specific to the manifestations or symptoms of Lyme disease. Its general actions as a blood cleanser, immunomodulator, anti inflammatory, and neuroprotective are well known. I always add this to the core protocol as it lessens the Herxheimer reaction. Let me tell you what this reaction is. If an herb is used and the patient gets a total body rash or other symptoms I feel that I touched the real problem.

This rash reaction is called a Herxherimer reaction. It is a good thing but the patient will suffer for about 24 hours. It tells me we are on the right track. A herxheimer reaction in the case of a herb for Lyme is due to die off of the spirochete which usually results in a rash or re living the Lyme symptoms- headache, arthralgia and myalgia. Although not pleasant it is a GOOD reaction. I love this herb as its active constituents cross the blood-brain barrier allowing the herb to be neuroprotective. Not all medicines and herbs cross the blood brain barrier. Sarsaprilla is especially good for the arthritic and skin symptoms of Lyme. The use of this herb was extremely popular between 1935-1960. There are great research studies about this herb. It is also useful for other infections such like leptospirosis, tuberculosis, and African sleeping sickness. There are even a few anti tumor trials.


The dosing is gradual as with the other herbs for Lyme. The usual dosage is between 425-500mg. Start with 1 capsule 3 x a day and then gradually go to four times a day. Try to gradually increase to the maximum dose which is 3 capsules four times a day (q.i.d.). Maintain this dosage for 8 months to one year.


I know what you are thinking . You would rather take an antibiotic rather than any herb as the dosage and length of treatment is higher and longer. Well I agree it takes the right kind of person to stick to an herbal Lyme protocol. Antibiotics have been found to be ineffective and many individuals in endemic Lyme areas are still infected and do NOT know it.


Try the herbal ways especially for those that still suffer from chronic Lyme.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment