Friday, July 1, 2011

JULY 3, 2011 ON VIRGIL, ON BEES

"A gossip is one who talks to you about others; a bore is one who talks to you about himself; and a brilliant conversationalist is one who talks to you about yourself." - Lisa Kirk


I have learned to be a great conversationalist. I am not one who practices character assassination which I refer to as gossip. I do not want to talk about myself. I might talk about the beauty of nature around us, but I have learned to listen to others talk about themselves rather than go on about myself. It allows me to become a better listener. As a better listener I can help my patients even more.


















'Bee talk' is not new. It has been around for centuries if not longer. Bee drawings are found in the tomb of King Tut. Aristotle talked of bees. Somerset Maugham talked of bees. And Virgil said this of bees...


It's true for bees as it is for human beings:

Life brings sickness with it. You can see

The signs of it in the bees, without any doubt:

Their color changes as soon as they fall ill;

Their bodies are all disheveled and there's a dreadful

Emaciation in the look of them;

And then you can see the other bees as they carry

Out from the dwelling places the bodies of those

From whom the life has gone; and you can see

The sick ones not yet dead that hang almost

Motionless around the doors outside

With crossed and tangled feet or still inside,

Listless with hunger and shrunken from the cold

And then you can hear a mournful long drawn -out

Whispering rustling sound like the sound of the cold

South Wind as it murmurs in the woods, or like

The agitated kissing of the sea

As the waters draw back, or the seething noise of fire

Eating its way as it burns inside a furnace.


This was written by Virgil describing what we know today as Colony Collapse Disorder. It is an accurate description of what happens to these God made insects. This was written in 'The Beekeeper's Lament by Hannah Nordhaus. If you prefer to see it on the screen I would suggest you find a theater showing Queen of the Sun (www.queenofthesun.com) Buy the DVD when released to help fight against the bees dying by our own hands-pesticide spraying, varroa mites, and man's own selfish needs.


Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment