Monday, July 25, 2011

JULY 27, 2011 DHEA AND TESTOSTERONE














"That which we do not confront in ourselves we will meet as fate." - Carl Jung



You would hope as we get older that we have been confronted with most issues. It has been stated by Jung , if not confronted we will meet as fate. What does that mean? I am not a psychologist, but I do believe that the psycho-social issues of most patients affect the medical issues. In regard to 'meet as fate', maybe he means the patient demise or death. I cannot imagine anything that I have not confronted since I became sober. I have dealt with my fears . As far as 'all my fears' I cannot say I am 100% perfect. I know from clinical experience that many patients avoid confronting some specific fears.




As we discuss human growth hormone, I must discuss testosterone. It is 90% androgen in the male body. Remember that females also have some testosterone. High testosterone is associated with increased aggression. It is not the total testosterone that is associated with sexual arousal, but the free testosterone. It is also the low free testosterone that is associated with risk of heart disease. It was once thought that is was the total testosterone, BUT it is not. The sex hormone binding globulin (SHB G) controls levels of free testosterone. On men over 45 years old (that's me) the ability of SHBG to bind to testosterone increases by about 40%. Decline in sexual arousal or even libido is associated with increased binding and resulting in less free testosterone. Many prescription medications and alcohol causes testosterone to bind.




The next hormone that I consider is the parent hormone DHEA. (Dehydroepiandrosterone). This hormone is the most abundant in women and is the precursor to the androgens and estrogens. The normal levels for men are 400-500 mcg/dl and in women the normal levels are 350 - 430 mcg/dl. Unfortunately levels decline after 30. These levels are low in adrenal insufficiency (stress on the body) and in diabetes. It can be replaced, and you can purchase over the counter in most vitamin stores. I caution those who may decide to take it without the advice of a health care practitioner. It will help but you do not want to have much greater than normal levels. Studies have shown that DHEA does not support the commercial use in women, yet it is sold . Again I caution anyone to take DHEA especially women as it can exert its adverse effects causing too many hormones to be produced. Excess hormones are associated with cancer.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment