Thursday, July 14, 2011

JULY 21, 2011 NO LONGER SLEEPLESS IN NYC














"The world is not to be put in order; the world is order, incarnate. It is for us to harmonize with this order." -Henry Miller







Life on life's terms is what Miller is saying. We live in a stressful world. It is our job not to take the world on alone. If you need to get involved, do your part. Make it a simple part. Take care of yourself first, so you will be able to take care of others. We all need to fit in. Do not try that hard to fit in. Breathe, meditate and pray. Get yourself a mantra to repeat every day. When I first learned of mantras , I couldn't help but think of the movie, " What's Love Got to Do With It" about Tina and Ike Turner starring Anegla Bassett as Tina. Finally when Tina gets the courage and determination to leave the abusive relationship, she meditates and recites mantras. This changed her whole life and outcome.




Do you want to change your life? Do you want to harmonize with the order?






Stress can cause Insomnia. I should know. I believe I am an insomniac. I have been this way as long as I can remember. My mind never used to shut off. This lack of sleep started during my college years, perpetuated in medical school and rocketed during the long long internship/residency hours when there was no restriction of the amount of hours we worked. Today, there are strict rules in medical residency programs. I can recall working 48 hours + consecutive. So who wouldn't turn to caffeine et al?





At one time or another we all have a sleepless night. Those nights for me are long gone. The stress of the day or anxiety about the next few days (that is called projection) can keep us awake at night. The pharmaceutical industry has made it too easy. We have one sleep medication after another. Lunesta, Ambien, and Clonezepam are just a few. Some of these are habit forming and can become addictive. Most of these medications are now controlled allowing only a 30 day supply without refills. Of course I have seen patients even buy these medications of the Internet. Who knows what you are obtaining from the Internet!

Do you have a sleepless, restless night once in a while? Of course I do, too, but I now have tools to help me. These tools are breathing exercises, meditation and prayer. I stopped counting sheep a long time ago. If sleepless nights continue, the whole body eventually becomes affected.There are many useful and powerful herbal hypnotics that aid in a restful night sleep. At one time or another I have discussed various herbs as the

California Poppy, Valerian, Hops and Passion Flower. The combination of Passion Flower and Valerian as tea has worked the best for myself and my patients. Equal parts of each herb drunk as a tea before bedtime is ideal. I also have used the nervine relaxant, Chamomile. I have never used Red Clover for sleep. I have tried a herbal infused bath with lavender and lime blossom.









Recently I have been using a homeopathic remedy by HEEL. Rick cannot believe it is me sleeping so soundly.





He has seen me toss and turn and wake up countless times. I am referred to as Shamu, the whale-- not due to weight naturally but the flips I perform while tossing and turning. The product is called NEUREXAN. The bottle reads for temporary relief of





-sleeplessness




-overactive mind




-restless sleep





That's me, but not any longer. It is a homeopathic remedy containing passiflora incarnata, avena sativa and zincum valerianicum. I use 3 -4 dissolve tablets under my tongue.

It is available at Longevity Nutritionals ( http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/ ) . I even performed a technological feat by downloading the App onto my blackberry from their website.






Until tomorrow...











Happy Birthday Mom - July 21, 1929 - June 10, 1982. Miss you.





Happy Birthday Nancy Mom - July 21, 19??










Bottom photograph: Hand made needlepoint of a California Yellow Poppy. Made into a pillow. Given as a gift to Alyssa Fratellone

No comments:

Post a Comment