Thursday, July 14, 2011

JULY 19, 2011 BEST FRIENDS















"My life is my teaching" - Mahatma Gandhi




I could ask for a better G.O.D. chosen profession than medicine. I am a teacher. I love to teach. I am teaching everyday of my life by healing individuals. I love to assist individuals in reaching their goals in life. The first lesson is a lifestyle change that involves exercise and better eating habits. I couldn't have found a better quote to qualify what I do in life. I learn something new every day. I find this refreshing.



During past summer months when I volunteered my medical services I was always confronted with individuals getting earaches. Have you ever had an earache? Was it caused by swimming?


I usually prescribe Mullein oil. One of my patients is Spencer, our King Charles Cavalier. This breed of dog is friendly, affectionate and great with children. Both Rick and I have had many breeds between us. We both agree that the King Charles is unique, or maybe it is just that Spencer is special. I do think that a good way to get to know your dog better (besides spending time with him/her) is to find out about the history of their breed. The history of King Charles Cavaliers dates back to King Charles I and II. In the United States this breed became popular in the 1920's with Roswell Eldridge. Although he never lived to see the dream, there finally was a King Charles Kennel Club started in 1928.


Sure humans get ear infections and so do dogs. The usual treatment for a physician is to write an Rx (prescription) for antibiotics. The most common is amoxicillin. Kids especially get this pink liquid antibiotic from their pediatrician. I prefer mullein oil.



Upon reading I have discovered another plant, named Pennywort. There are many herbs that are given this name, so I need to more work on this species. The stem goes down from the center of this round leaf so you cannot miss it when you see it. Crush the leaves and collect the juice. You now have pennywort juice. Put some drops of this special juice in the affected ear.


The next ear infection I get whether in an individual or in Spencer I will use Pennywort. I have added Chamomile and Yarrow to the Mullein Oil for Spencer, too. 40% of all Cavaliers get ear inflammation. Among Cavaliers it is called Primary Secretory Otitis Media (PSOM). Among pet owners like ourselves it is called glue ear. This is a highly viscous mucous plug. It has been postulated that hearing loss develops in Cavaliers and it is progressive. I do not think this is from the glue ear, but rather a degeneration of the auditory nerve.

I do believe that most dogs with floppy ears have ear problems.

3rd photograph: Spencer


4th photograph: Max, a Shuzon (breed Shitzu and Brichon)


Photographs: Rick Byrd


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment