Thursday, July 7, 2011

JULY 11, 2011 THE HEALING GARDENS














"Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself." --Harriet Nelson



Do you truly forgive those who have offended you? Some of say yes, and others do not know. Some forgive but do not forget. I think that is fairly common. Anger, resentment and forgiveness fall in my 6th lifestyle change, after self-esteem which is the 5th lifestyle change. I discuss the 5th and 6th lifestyle changes together. A hobby is suggested to help with self-esteem. The craft or art you chose as your hobby can be given away as a means of 'letting go' or practicing forgiveness.


I never thought that truly forgiving someone would have such an impact on me, but it did. I thought I could never forgive a former partner in my life, but I did--not for him but for myself. We may not be friends, but I feel lighter and happier that I forgave him in my heart. I no longer rehash the mistakes he made in my mind, but pray for his well being instead. Of course I made mistakes too. It is such a relief to know I have the capacity to forgive.



Practice forgiveness!



People of all ages suffer from different types of physical, emotional or psychiatric challenges. Studies have shown that horticultural therapy programs can improve their well-being. I know my own personal gardening (not in a formal horticultural therapy setting) has improved my own well-being. Today horticultural therapy programs are used in conjunction with physical and occupational therapy at mental health clinics, addiction rehabilitation facilities, and even correctional facilities. One terrific example of this can be seen if you search the psychiatric program at the Cincinnati Children's Medical Center.



These programs are not mandatory in these facilities. Some programs begin teaching how to plant seeds. It is so life affirming to see seedlings become bigger things. I planted milk thistle in one of the pots on my terrace in early June. It is so gratifying to see this tall plant with unusual flowers. It brings a smile to my face as I started with a seedling from botanical interest seeds. (see http://www.botanicalinterest.com/ ) It is so fun for children to plant seedlings and watch them grow into a plant they are very familiar with such as garlic, carrot, or daisies.

Not only does planting and growing fruits or vegetables build awareness, but there is much sensory stimulation in horticultural therapy. It takes patience and teamwork. It teaches residents in these programs to appreciate nature. For me, this is very important. How many people do you think appreciate nature? I know I did when I was younger. I never lost my love of flowers, plants, insects and animals. But that feeling got displaced for a while due to life's other issues at the time.

Identifying plants helps patients in these programs explore their senses of touch and smell. Some people get their anger out by pulling weeds, or using a hoe or trowel. So instead of suggesting a punching bag or wrestling as a way to relieve anger--think again. I do remember as a child I loved pulling weeds. Was I angry?

Can you imagine the joy in eating a vegetable that you planted and grew? It is so gratifying. Think about your own garden. Do you eat the cucumbers, squash, tomatoes or eggplants from your garden? My Poppy used to love to give away tomatoes from the garden. He would have a brown bag full of tomatoes to give away. He was so proud of his garden.

Gardening is not only a way to achieve a goal, but allows an individual to practice something ongoing with love, dedication and integrity.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment