Tuesday, July 5, 2011

JULY 9, 2011 SOAP MAKING AS A HOBBY





















Even though it isn't a hobby I have done, I feel that I can tell you about soap making with some knowledge since I make herbal salves and candles from the bee's wax and herbs. Rick has done soap making in the past.

So let's get started. There are many stores in New York City that now sell hand crafted soap. I know if you go to the Co-op in Brooklyn (if you are a member) or the one of East 4th street (you need not be a member) you can always find hand made soap.

I always find it helpful to get a book on any new hobby. Since we have Beekeeping for Dummies, I checked Amazon for soap making and found Making Candles and Soaps for Dummies
There also is The Soapmaker's Companion (1997).

There are two great web sites for supplies and tips: http://www.soapcrafters.com/ and http://www.teachsoap.com/

Soap making is fun and easy but will require you to handle substances at very high temperatures. Always wear safety goggles, long sleeve shirts and pants. Always try to organize yourself. This should be mandatory with every hobby you practice.

Egyptian records reveal that soap making was done as early as 1500 BC. Some sources date soap making to 2800 BC and the Babylonian times.


Try it - you will like it and it makes a great Christmas gift.


If you try this hobby let me know.




Until tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment