Thursday, July 14, 2011

JULY 18, 2011 I. B. S.





" Our ability to relax into life reflects our willingness to trust." --Anonymous






I am finally able to relax into life. Most days. I am sure the meditation and prayer play a role in this process. I am also aware that my hobbies and self esteem are involved. The hustle and bustle of this metropolitan city is sometimes not that relaxing. It does create some stress. I am finally beginning to trust my own instincts. I know these are good instincts. I go with my 'gut feeling' and intuition. In the past my 'gut feeling' was not to be trusted. Today I trust myself. I might not necessarily trust everyone around me, but even that is getting better.


Do you relax into life? Do you trust yourself?





The inability to relax can sometimes affect your digestion. Maybe you have a nervous stomach or an irritable bowel. There are studies that IBS can sometimes be associated with anxiety and depression. I always ask patients, "Do you have bloating , flatulence, changes in bowel habits and burping?" Health care professionals as patients are challenging. I know I am a challenge to my conventional colleagues as I do not want to take medications all the time. Last week I was seeing an acupunturist. She was a 41 year old white female who has had bloating for several years. She also has a history of vomiting. She said that her last boyfriend left her due to bad breath in the morning. She does not drink coffee or smoke cigarettes. She has seen a top gastroenterologist who suggesting she stop drinking any milk products. She did this for 10 days, felt better, but felt she couldn't commit to stopping dairy.




I tested her for food allergies. She had a severe gluten, dairy and yeast sensitivity. We discussed the many food options she can have. Rather than tell her what she can't have I told her what she can have.



After one week she felt better, but still had not eliminated all the necessary foods that she was allergic to. I had given her glutamine (an amino to heal the 'gut') and probiotics (the good bacteria).



I decided to make her an herbal tea mixture to ease her abdominal discomfort, bloating and gas. All of these symptoms had improved, but were still bothersome.



I wanted to blend herbs with different properties . So I did --


1. Nepetea cataria (catnip) - acts as a carminative

2. Foeniculum vulgaris (fennell) - acts as a carminative

3. Maticaria recutita (chamomille) acts as a nervine

4. Salvia officinalis (sage)- acts as an astringent

5. Metha x piperita (peppermint) - acts as an antispasmodic


Within days you will find some relief. Take equal parts if used as a tea or can use as tinctures to add to a cup of chamomile tea.


Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment