Monday, September 12, 2011

SEPTEMBER 13, 2011 'RED RUM'





























"THERE IS ALWAYS A BIGGER PICTURE THAN THE ONE YOU SEE."




Look beyond myself. Stop being selfish and see the bigger picture. I am sure I have been called selfish. Maybe even stand off-ish and maybe 'know it all'. I will admit that early in twelve step recovery I was selfish. I am not a selfish person. I like to do what I like to do when I want to do it. For example, I can tune people out if involved in one of my hobbies. That is a character defect of mine. I am working on that. At this point if anyone would call me selfish or self serving, then he/she really doesn't know me very well. That might even include family and close friends. I am a giving individual. I have learned over these last 10-15 years to continue to be giving, but also giving towards myself- It is called Self Love. The greatest support I have received is to be involved in a loving relationship. I always state that my relationship is supportive, loving and nurturing. It is truly "Beyond my Wildest Dreams ..." Do we sometimes fight? - Of course we do!




Do you remember "RED RUM"? It was a phrase from the The Shining by Stephen King. I do not want to discuss Red Rum or murder... I want to discuss something you think would be red - Red Root (Ceanothus). But the plant is not RED at all- It has purple flowers.



You might know it as another common name --Jersey tea, Buckbrush or even Deer Brush. I learned of this herb years ago from a colleague practicing Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It was being used for an individual as a spleen tonic who was suffering from decrease flow (qi- pronounced chi) in the lymphatic system. The individual presented with symptoms of sluggishness and congestion.

I have used it on peri -menopausal females for pelvic congestion. Sometimes I use it for the newly diagnosed patient with hepatitis because the liver is overworked and sluggish. I love the herb because it has multiple uses. Most of the best herbs have multiples uses. Although initially in my early clinical days I used only one herb to treat a disease, I now often use more than two herbs to treat an illness. These are referred to as Formulations. Practitioners in TCM often use formulations.



From my readings of Tori Hudson, ND and Avrim Romm MD RH, I have used Red Root for breast tenderness in premenstrual females. Since breast tissue is primarily lymphatic this is an excellent herb choice for premenstrual cramping. Most females in the United States would ingest Motrin (Advil) or the older choice, Midol. I have read that Red Root can be used for men with testicular hydroceles, but to date I have never thought to use it for this condition. There will always be another chance in the future.



The one common viral infection I have used Red Root for is Epstein Barr infection (EBV), especially in the teenager/young adult who has Infective Mononucleosis ("Kissing Disease"). It is very effective when the EBV affects the lymph glands, and causes enlargement of the spleen and liver. I have a young adult who had EBV and was hospitalized. He is now studying abroad, but I will use Ceanothus when he returns. After reading about red Root, I will use it more in the chronic infections I encounter including and not limited to Lyme Disease.

Look at the plant. I am sure it is growing among the forest in your neighborhood. Many of the Ceanothus species are found in North America.

Oh yes the usual dosage I use is 10-35 drops three to four times a day. Infamous herbalist Michael Moore likes a cold infusion. Other RH practitioners use 1 teaspoon of herb per cup of water. I know many females (and men with prostatitis) who use White Pond or Yellow Pond Lily for cramps.




Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment