Monday, September 5, 2011

SEPTEMBER 5-6, 2011 EARLY FALL SOUP
















"Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It's what you do for others." -Danny Thomas

It is never about me. I do not even consider myself intelligent. If my intelligence is a gift, it was GOD given and I had nothing to do with it. Maybe I have learned to cultivate my intellect. Maybe I have learned to cope using my mind. I have accomplished-- but who hasn't accomplished something in their life. What I have accomplished in my life I use to benefit others. What I do for others is very important in my life. I try to teach people a different way to live--eating healthier and exercising regularly. I also try to teach people to meditate and let go. I had a set back this weekend about something I thought I had let go. I have to reflect on why I have not let it go. I am holding on to something. I must pray and meditate.




Plants are magical. You have to admit that. Plants are the basis of life on our planet. From the sun the plant packages light energy into sugar molecules. Sugar forms other structures and before you know it you have made the plant structure. Many of these plant structures are used to make the flowers, fruits and seeds of the plant. Every part of a plant can be used. This is not unlike the structures in a beehive. You have the wax, the honey, the propolis, the bee pollen and the royal jelly.



You can eat both plants and the by products of bees. How about some wild greens. I put dandelion, sheep sorrel and lamb quarter's leaves into mine. Since the Fall is coming up wouldn't it be nice to make Vegetarian Wild Greens in Spring Stock.



Here is the recipe:



Serves 6 people



1 cup of chopped watercress



1 cup chopped wild leeks



1 cup chopped stinging nettles (great for the allergies)



1 cup chopped violet leaves



1/2 cup chopped dandelion leaves



1 cup chopped young day lily shoots



2 quarts of chicken broth







Add coarsely chopped greens to a saucepan with 2 quarts of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, back off to a simmer for 15 minutes. Strain off broth and serve.



Tasty and delicious...



Photograph: Playing with Our Bees



Photo Credit: Rick Byrd






Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment