Friday, September 2, 2011

SEPTEMVER 3, 2011 NEW DIABETIC RECOMMENDATIONS







"Every human is an artist. The dream of your life is to make beautiful art." Don Miguel Ruiz

You are an artist! Everything you do in this world is art. The way you dress in the morning is your art. The way you make love to your partner is your art. Your spoken word is your art.

Your meditation is your art. If you think this way the world becomes a better place. I have so many ideas in my mind at any given moment that it is difficult for me to decide which one I want to work with. I do know that if I take action, that will make the difference. I often take action and I feel so good about that. What is the point of having ideas and if I never take action. That action is MY ART! What is your art?

Do I read conventional medical literature despite the fact that I am in love with plants as a Registered Herbologist? The answer is of course I do. I am conventionally trained and feel certain aspects of medicine are most important. I might not agree with the American Diabetic Association (ADA) policies and food pyramid/choices but I want to know what they are. Recently the ADA has added the Hemoglobin A1C as an additional indicator for the diagnosis of diabetes and pre-diabetes. It is not just any ordinary disease--it is an epidemic that has been building in this country for a long time.

I always thought that HgbA1C was in the guidelines. Last year in the literature the published guidelines recommended measurement of HgbA1c as an option for making the diagnosis. I am old-fashioned and still believe in performing a 5 hour glucose tolerance test. Since that test is cumbersome, and unpleasant for the patient, recently I have been doing fasting glucose (sugar) and insulin levels, having the patient eat their ordinary breakfast (which for many who lead a fast paced life is coffee and a roll) and then do a 2 hour glucose and insulin level. It is not the best test, but sometimes due to time and of course insurance-- it is done. I have always done the HemoglobinA1C.

To diagnose diabetes these are the guidelines:


1. a hemoglobin A1C (HgbA1C) greater than 6.5%

2. fasting level of glucose of 126 mg/dL

3. 2 hour post glucose load (a high carb breakfast) with a glucose greater than 200mg/dL

4. random glucose level greater than 200mg/dL




Previous guidelines never included HgbA1C. The above sounds fine for the lay person but not for me. We have more diabetics and pre-diabetics in this country than we think. Using the above might be alright with others, but I consider a HgbA1C greater than 6.2 to be a problem and a lower fasting glucose to be a problem (not at 125mg/dL but much lower). The laboratory now uses greater than 99mg/dL. I feel that might be too low, but 100-110 mg/dL is more reliable.

What is the bottom line? We have an abundance of diabetics and pre-diabetics in this country. We have an epidemic of obesity. Both diabetes and obesity lead to cardiovascular disease- heart attacks and strokes. Let's spend dollars not on drugs which do not alleviate the problem. Spend dollars on prevention. Spend dollars on new research on using the various herbs and supplements that Mother Earth has given us. Have double blind studies on an herb and a conventional medication such as januvia, actos or avandia. Why are their no studies? Is the medical association, the government and the pharmaceutical industry afraid that bitter melon, rosemary or the tasty cinnamon might be a better treatment than the doctor prescribed conventional medication? I am not advocating all patients take herbs, but I am also not stating that all patients need conventional medications. If we can prevent and detect earlier we would not always need the drug. We could use the herbs/supplements. I use both, but I find pre-diabetics lurking by the millions in the United States.


Prevention with better dietary and exercise lifestyles is the key to success. In reality talking and spending time with the patient is the key. How much time do you spend with your doctor?

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment