Sunday, September 4, 2011

SEPTEMBER 4, 2011 MEN AND WEEDS























"The first gift is life. The second gift is love.The third gift is understanding." Marge






When two people set their heart on love and commitment, oh the sparks and excitement that are created. It was magic. Once a private residence, but now part of campus property became the backdrop for a union of man and woman. It was as if you were in a Film Noir set. The winding staircase. The adorned wood doors and carvings. The candelabra set ablaze. Flowers were exquisite: orchids, lilies and wildflowers. Irene assured us there was no electricity- so generators and candles lit the night. Silver bells at each place setting... if rang, the bridge and groom would kiss. Introductory cards to help the guests know each other. An intimate evening meeting new people. A blissful evening. LOVE was in the air. GOD was in the air. I felt the presence of my mom and dad. I cried a little, but had a beaming smile throughout the affair.


As I glanced at the wildflowers in the castle, and beyond on the grounds I began to notice a odd thing. The beautiful flowers were not flowers-- or were they. They were weeds. This is the nuisance of every garden. Can you define a weed? It is the 'plant in the wrong place'. IT is a plant growing somewhere you would prefer other plants to grow, or maybe where a pond should be.


Is there really ever a right place for a plant?



I love the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote "a weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." He was being cautious. It provoked a botanically friendly idea. Sometimes a plant is regarded as useful, then it goes out of fashion. Toxicity is another ugly and undesirable trait of a plant.


As I write I am beginning to get a clearer picture that plants within a community can be compared to individuals in the community. Some plants are labeled as weeds because we morally disapprove of their behavior. This weed or individual is morally dishonest. A Lie. Then there are parasites in the plant and human world. Parasites exploit the nutrients of other plants, regardless of whether they do real harm in the process. I know lots of these 'parasite people' within small communities. Then there are sap sucker plants, the vegetable vampire--these represent the addictions in a community. Addictions within a community of men/women are alcohol, drugs, food, sex, and tons of drama. The good addictions within a community could be serenity, peace, some friendships, prayer and meditation. Mine are reading and crafting.


I invite you as blog readers to consider this. A gardening writer J C Loundon invited readers to compare plants with men and women. I view these men and women as aboriginal species, wild plants, set in their ways, with great fear of change. These plants are the wild species or scavengers that have not found their path in life. For many, this community is all they have. I on the other hand, have a choice in life. If I do not like the conversation I bid farewell.


I am a botanical species in the plant world. There are few within a community I am a civilized being...




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment