Saturday, September 24, 2011

SEPTEMBER 24-25, 2011 A SKIN FRIENDSHIP























"Friendship is the only cement that will hold the world together." Woodrow Wilson


Is this actually true? I do not know how I feel about friendship these days, let alone Woodrow Wilson. I know I have one true friend with whom I spend my days and nights--that is my life partner. I have other friends but are they the cement of my life? I do not know. I am beginning to question life in general with the ever changing economy, political views and the state of the world. Friends are important--just choose wisely!


Friendship among eclectic physicians formed the basic foundations for herbalism as we know it today. John Milton Scudder resurrected Eclectic Medicine. The great physicians like I.J.M. Goss, John King, Harvey Felter, Rolla Thomas, Eli Jones and many others continued this system of medicine. With the death of these great leaders and friends, Eclectic Medicine had no future in the 20th century. Today, it is what I read in books. Today, it is in the lectures of David Winston, Michael Moore, and James Duke that the words of eclectic physicians are again brought to life.


Today is a memorial service for a dear friend, Michael. My heart is still saddened by his loss. He was a compassionate human being with a deep connection to nature, especially plants. He will be missed... he will be among the trees, bees, plants, flowers and the earth forever!


Lately I have been seeing many young men and women with skin conditions. Many want to try Accutane. There are many precautions to consider before taking Accutane, especially for women of child bearing age. For men it is less toxic, however obtaining the drug requires the physician to join a special web site for distribution, as well as close monitoring of each patient.


I sometimes would rather use herbs to help the skin. There are so many to choose from.




1. Burdock seed (Arctium lappa) for dry scaly skin and recurrent boils.

2. Blue flag (Iris verscolor) - for chronic skin problems

3. Oregon Grape Root - (Berberis aquafolium) - I made a salve preparation while in Northeast Botanical Medicine program with 7song. I use this herb for infection far more than other herbs. I love making different salve preparations with Oregon Grape Root. It is great for the pustular eruptions of the skin , especially the face.


Dermatologists are great at what they do. Most dermatologists practice cosmetics. There is NO herb replacement for cosmetic surgery, however there is green tea, calendula and many other herbs that can prevent the need for surgery.

There are many herbal options. Seek one....

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment