Monday, September 19, 2011

SEPTEMBER 21, 2011 BAREFOOT TECHNIQUE: CUPPING

































"G. O. D. helps those who help themselves." - Benjamin Franklin


I was sure my mother was the writer of this quote. I never knew she quoted Ben Franklin. How funny is that! He/she who helps him/her self is better off than those that do nothing for themselves. I know both types of individuals. In the health care profession I see 50% of each group. Those who constantly complain are those who need to start helping themselves. The 'poor me' saga will continue. Some love the drama. Those who help themselves will certainly reap the rewards. They will be an inspiration to others. I have many patients over the age of 90 in very fine physical, emotional and mental states. This is due to the fact that they have helped themselves through the years.



There are some professional members of the mainstream medical profession who consider the application of herbs and many other eastern techniques to be unscientific. Some of these techniques such as acupuncture, massage and even chiropractic services were once considered alternative, yet today they are part of the mainstream. One day I hope to see that botanical medicine/herbology is part of mainstream medicine.

There are many techniques (such as various Chinese techniques) used by native healers and shamans. One of these techniques is called cupping. Cupping was used in my family to rid the body of infection and 'the sweats'. I had cupping performed on me by a health care practitioner (actually a physician's assistant who is now a medical doctor) for bronchitis while at the Atkins Center. These types of techniques along with others are called 'Barefoot Doctor' healing techniques. Instinctually I know how to use some of these techniques but have never used them in my current practice. Many cultures use these folk remedies and practice what I call 'folk medicine'. These techniques are not only effective but convenient if you can find a practitioner.


Cupping is the treatment of disease by using suction of the skin surface. A vacuum is created in small jars that are they attached to the body surface. I remember one of my mother's cousins putting a penny on my dad's left shoulder after the penny was heated in a fire or with a candle. Then she quickly put a cup over the penny. (Upon reading I find this 'penny' technique is used in the Indian cupping method.) This vacuum caused the underlying tissues to pull into the cup. Thus pulling the inner congestion. It is a job well done. You must tell the patient about the redness and bruising of the skin it will cause. I remember I was bruised for a week after my session. My lung congestion immediately lessened and I felt relieved. I didn't have to take the antibiotic that was prescribed.


In my childhood my mother used Welchs jelly glasses. Today you can get small votives or glass jars online. Cups remain on the body from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the strength of the suction. If a cup with good suction falls off- it means there was no inflammation in that area. I have seen incredible results from cupping, especially for infection.



Have you ever seen the movie Zorba the Greek with Anthony Quinn? Cupping is done in one scene of that movie. The health care practitioner, who is known as the Barefoot Doctor was Stephen Russell. You can also read the book, Every Month was May by Evelyn Eaton. She experienced cupping during her stay in France in the 1940's.


Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment