Thursday, September 1, 2011

SEPTEMBER 2, 2011 CAN A HOBBY BE HAZARDOUS?














"Nothing that your partner does is personal. Your partner is dealing with his/her own garbage. If you don't take it personally, it will be so easy for you to have a wonderful relationship with your partner." - Don Miguel Ruiz from The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship


A partnership is a two way street. It is not always easy. Open communication is needed at all times. I do believe that nothing my life partner does is in any way personal to me. We each have our own 'stuff' we must work through in our lives. Each person deals with their stress in different ways. I used to be the one who always worried. My partner tells me to concentrate on healing and he will deal with the other stuff. I sometimes do not appreciate everything he does for us . I try not to take anything personally, but I do. I am only human after all. We all are human. I do know that an open line of communication is the best way to live.


I am very grateful to have an understanding, loving , supportive and compassionate partner. I take nothing for granted. Beyond my wildest dreams....


On a whole most hobbies are not hazardous to your health. I believe that a hobby boosts your self-esteem. In my clinical practice years I always ask patients, "What is your hobby?" I have had a wide variety of answers. The list is more than fifty. One of the most common hobbies is painting. Painting can be with watercolor, or with oil or acrylic paint.



I am an avid reader. I am also concerned about the environment and how it affects our health. There are many toxic metals in our environment. The most common that is widely publicized is mercury. There have been many articles written about the toxic effects of mercury from eating tuna fish and raw sushi and 'silver' amalgam fillings.



Yesterday I saw a patient whom had a high barium level. The level was not a serum (blood) sample . It was a provocative 6 hour urine. The provocative agent was DMSA which is a chelator. A chelator is a substance which binds to toxic metals. The toxic metals are then excreted in the urine and measured. Thus the DMSA can be used a diagnostic tool as well as a treatment. Normal provocative barium is less than 7. This level was much greater than 50. There was also mercury and lead present. Lead used to be present in paint, but has been removed years ago. Barium is a silvery white metal that can be found in the environment where it exists naturally.


Barium is still given in when a gastroenterologist wants to do a small bowel series. Today with CT and MRI it is hardly used anymore. So those who are exposed to barium are in the barium industry and this is a very few people. Also those using paints are at risk. So be careful and research your paints. Barium compounds that are dissolved in water are the most harmful to humans. I know that the barium in paint is not dissolved in water so it should not be dangerous, but how do we know. Research has not shown it to cause cancer in humans.

Does it cause any inflammation and scarring to the body? There is a very rare breast disease called radial scar which resembles ductal breast carcinoma but is not. It surely can give a patient a scare. But do we really know if there is no human toxic effects. Have painters been studied in a trial? Did the famous painters have symptomatic illnesses that might have been related to lead, cadium and barium (all used in paints at that time)? Was Dali eccentric and crazy? Was Picasso crazy? Who knows ?


Barium is used to produce pigments in paints and decorative glass. Is a stain glass hobby another risk factor for barium. Who knows?



Environmental illnesses need to studied and researched a lot more.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment