Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SEPTEMBER 9, 2011 WOOD CARVING AS A HOBBY
































"It's no use saying, "WE ARE DOING OUR BEST." You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary." - Winston Churchill




Yesterday, I was inspired by an elderly gentleman who continues at his young age of 80+ to still do wood carving. He is one of 5 patients I have who enjoy wood carving as a hobby. Another gentleman who lives in Florida does ink drawings as well as wood carvings. I was blessed to receive a wooden duck from him last year as well as countless ink drawings. I am a grateful man.




I have learned a lot by talking to my older patients. I get interested in so many different hobbies as well as interests. I started beekeeping due to a family in New Jersey who turned me on to http://www.honeybeelives.org/



The first wood carver told me he whittled as a teenager. He learned in Boy Scouts and expanded his whittling to carvings. I believe whittling is a method of dispersing nervous energy. It reminds me of my Nanny counting the rosary. Whittling is an artistic hobby, a craft requiring great dexterity. I do not see myself whittling as I was never comfortable with a pocket knife. I feel whittling can be a meditative hobby. It is not a new hobby. The tools used to whittle have been around for centuries (take a visit the Museum of Natural History on West 82nd Street in NYC) Some of these tools are made of stone. Whittled objects have been as small as a thimble and as large as a dining room chair.



I have attempted most of the hobbies I have written about. I have tried watercolor, stained glass, knitting, needlecraft, and beekeeping. Some of these hobbies are part of my daily schedule. I am human and have been addicted to some of the above hobbies. Currently I am knitting 30 K across and about 2 inches down to create rectangles of various colors. My goal is to eventually knit all the rectangles together to make a wool blanket. Notice I didn't pick squares--that is too common.



At this point I do not see myself whittling, but you never know. Beyond my wildest dreams....






Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment