Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SEPTEMBER 14, 2011 THE BEAUTY OF TEA


































"Do not dwell on the negative things but replace them, supplant them, with the right constructive things. The Law of the Mind is that you can only get rid of one thought by substituting another." Emmet Fox from The Mental Equivalent






Sometimes it is very difficult not to dwell on the negative thoughts. Through the years I have tried to follow Emmet Fox's advice and use other tools from my twelve step program. I have replaced many negative things with self esteem hobbies that make me feel better about myself. My hobbies are constructive and relax me-- especially my needlepoint and knitting. I now look forward to traveling on an airplane because I can focus on those crafts during the flight. I do like to be busy. Even when trying to relax through the summer on Fire Island, I always keep busy reading and crafting.

I feel the best way for me to let go of bad thoughts is to meditate. I love listening to meditative CD's as well as do 4-7-8 breathing. The focus on our honeybees, nature and plants is also an excellent way to relax. And it connects me to nature.


Try connecting with nature.



When the waiter comes to the table after dinner is done, do you order coffee or tea? I usually order coffee but I am beginning to change my ways. I now use herbal teas depending on how I am feeling. Did you ever think... who orders tea? It is the well-to-do? The rich and famous? I started to drink tea when I was studying in England. I became friends with Kate, the hospital operator as she always assisted me in calling home to the United States. I was studying in Kingswinford England in the Black Country, north of Birmingham. Kate always let the tea brew with the milk in the pot and added sugar. I believe the British like their tea sweet. The tea I drank was Typhoo Tea. It was a red and white box with a Double Decker London bus on the package. I even got a small model of the double deck Typhoo tea bus as a gift in one of the boxes. This was more than 20 years ago.


I always want to brew the perfect cup of tea. Just the right amount of the herb and the right amount of water. At home we even have multiple tea strainers, tea cups with strainers and a tea press to make the perfect cup.





If you are interested in tea I suggest you read The Essence of Tea by Shan Tung Hsu published last year. It is the best book I have read on tea. It was lent to me by a patient, but I need to obtain my own hard copy of the book. I loved his take on the visceral aspects of tea- the uncurling of the tea leaves, the color of the tea when poured into a glass tea cup and the taste of the tea. He makes it sound elegant, sophisticated and simple. That is the key--SIMPLICITY.


I am a very complicated person who needs simplicity. I have never read about tea in the way Mr Hsu describes it. His approach to tea from the basic herb plant to an art form is beyond reproach. I am sure his Taiwanese culture has something to do with this. I would love to read a book on tea from a British perspective.

Currently I am reading Weeds by Richard Mabey. Mr Mabey is a famous naturalist and author. I have read his other books including The Unofficial Countryside and The Common Ground. He has been called Britain's greatest living nature writer in various columns and other books. I need to get his BBC TV series on The Flowering of Britain. I love Weeds, it is a British perspective on the common weeds we ALL take for granted.



You will never read about the perfect cup of Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) anywhere else!


Tea can be enjoyed by everyone INCLUDING you for its beauty, its simplicity, its color and its taste.




Next time you have a cup of herbal tea---Think of me.


Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment