Friday, June 15, 2012

JUNE 15, 2012 PEACE AND QUIET IN NYC






" The world consists of power struggles between competing values. The resolution of the power struggles will determine the very makeup of the universe..." - Larry Graham

I see many power struggles. It is between the Democrats and the Republicans.  It is between the insurance companies and the doctors. It is between husbands and wives. It is between religions. It is between pharmaceutical companies  and patients. Unfortunately it is between human and human, and man's technology against Earth Mother. Do you worry about the environment. ? Do you see what is happening to the world and its surrounding nature. ?

I do not want a power struggle to determine the outcome of the environment or Earth Mother. Yet, for the grace of G.O.D.  ( good orderly direction) I do not have to worry about it every minute. I will not live in the future. I will however participate to do my part to prevent this destruction. I do it by caring for my plants, insects, and most of all, other human beings.

It is Friday. Have you ever thought of a quiet place to go and sit . There are plenty of those places. Yes, even here in New York City. I could name a few right now as the Botanical Gardens, 40th Street Terrace, Robert Wagner Jr Memorial Park, The Lighthouse on Roosevelt Island or Strawberry Fields in Central Park. Central Park alone has a multitude of places.

Wait you want a cup of tea. Well I have just the place for you. The Inn at Irving Place on the east side has the socialization of tea for you. It is called Lady Mendl's Tea Salon. It is at 56 Irving Place and 17th Street.  I haven't been there in some time but I believe it is still open. Check out http://www.ladymendls.com/  I know you must have a reservation and it does cost some money. Make this a special Friday tea.
I love English films. I love the Brits. I studied in England for ten years. I loved it when as a surgical resident, the surgeons would break for a 4 pm afternoon tea. I feel like my afternoon tea was with Rupert Everett, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. It was a great way to sit quietly and sometimes even chat. Usually no one said anything but enjoyed the afternoon tea. As an American I wanted to talk, but I quickly learned this was quiet time.

Make your day or someone you love - their day by sitting in this 1834 townhouse in Gramercy Park for afternoon tea. You can even stroll around Gramercy Park after day.

Ok, you are broke as most New Yorkers. You want flowers, and water and goldfish. Across town and up at 97th Street between Broadway and West End Ave is a garden. It is called the Lotus Garden. http://www.lotusgarden.org/  It is open on Sundays from 1 pm - 4 pm It is only open on Sundays. It is twenty feet above a 97th Street atop a busy parking garage. What happens when you combine an activist with a plant lover ? You get a fragrant LOTUS GARDEN. Kudos to Mark Greenwald and Carrie Maher. This is a terrific way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I will make this visit a priority on my next Sunday afternoon after Father's Day.  I have heard there are a lot of fragrant herbs and cherry trees. Do not be disappointed about this but there are no Lotus Plants.

You can close your eyes and see them if you really try---

Until tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful writing... I completely agree with your opening statement, what have we done to this Earth?

    -Tony Salmeron
    Tree Removal Charlotte

    ReplyDelete