Friday, June 1, 2012

JUNE 1, 2012 GLOBETROTTING



"Life has three rules: Paradox, Humor and Change."

"Paradox is a mystery; don't waste your time trying to figure it out."

Both of these quotes are from Dan Millman. Do you know Dan Millman?  He is an author. If you haven't read any of his books--you should. I first read Peaceful Warrior. In the last year I read The Life you were Born to Live. You must be very open minded when reading this book. We all have specific birth dates for a reason. It has nothing do do with astrology. The astrological sign for this time of the year until June 21st is Gemini - The Twins. I am a Gemini. Using numerology and other aspects or disciplines you can work your life in the way you were born to work it.

While I was flying down to Asheville today, I began to ponder about weekend trips or vacations. This can be a hobby. When was the last time you went on a vacation or a holiday (as they say in England)? It doesn't have to be extravagant but it can be planned. This will make your vacation, week end getaway or holiday special. The planning takes time, and can be exciting. You can find out about places to visit. Rick and I did this when we visited the Cancer Center Of America in Philadelphia. The graciousness of the center allowed us to stay in downtown Philly. I had planned in advance the museums, stores and sights we would visit. This is a great hobby.

While in Asheville for the Earth Medicine Conference I would love to visit the Biltmore Estate.  I did visit the headquarters and farm for Gaia herbs on my last visit. I am staying in Asheville but 45 minutes away near the Black Moutains.  I will be herb walking, hiking and attending seminars with my herbalist colleagues. However I did plan what books and needlepoitns I will do while away.

On the plane a book came into my mind. It was called Globetrotting Harry

45 Years Globe Trotting Around the World: with "Globetrotting Harry", Over 100 Faraway Places, with 300 Personal Photos 

My grandfather Poppy gave this book to me. The author of the book was one of his clients, Harry Ain. My Poppy was a hat maker. He made hats for Mr Ain. I still have the book. It was signed, To Jimmy - Thanks for the hats- Harry;  I thought of this book as I am wearing a new hat made for me by Worth and Worth at 47 West 57th Street.


We all need weekend getaways. We all need rest and relaxation without having a negative impact on business. Our weekends on Fire Island are a sort of getaway. For me lately, it has been too calculated, and sometimes stressful, but the serenity, some friends, and the bees make it worthwhile. In a way I am a one-person operation or medical practice. It is not easy to take a day off, let alone schedule a extended vacation
All the thoughts below come into consideration when I think of an extended vacation.
  • You might lose business to your competitors while you're away.
  • You're just too busy to be away more than a few days at a time.
  • There's no one to fill in for you in your absence.
  • You're not getting paid when you're not working so a long vacation would cause a financial setback.
To balance your work life with your personal life, whether you are self-employed or not, you need to take some time off. A great alternative to a week-long vacation is to take one or more weekday or weekend getaways that might last from one to three or four days. I need for Rick and I to make it a practice to get away from our work on such excursions whenever I can. Weekday or weekend getaways help me get away just long enough to get a much needed rest without affecting my business and without breaking the bank.

We are planning with our friends to take less weekends in Fire Island and do these weekend getaways to New Hope, Philly, DC, Virgina and Boston. I have learned the hard way --so I plan ahead these days
If you plan your weekday or weekend getaways ahead of time you'll get better deals on travel and lodging. You'll also be able to schedule your time in advance so you can get caught up before you leave.
Other tips are to leave a day early or leave work early the day before. I think pampering yourself before you leave- haircut, pedicure, massage, and manicure is a great way to start the weekend getaway.  I am considering a massage right now while waiting at the Atlanta Airport .Always allow extra time since that first day you spend almost entirely travelling.

Some other good tips:
1. Try not to discuss business. This is hard for me since I am on call most days and evenings. Rick and I exchange ideas, dreams and aspirations so the conversation heads that way. Wrong! I know this -
Work will still be there when you get home. You took the weekend getaway in the first place because you needed a break - now enjoy it!
2.  Be flexible whether it is going out to dinner, or visiting a different museum that wasn't on the initial list. I am the reservation 'partner' so I must be flexible. I usually pick a needlepoint store to visit in a different city. I should stop this for two reasons. It can be boring for Rick and secondly, I have many canvases yet to stitch.
When thinking of going home I get down. I am sure this is not unique. I feel we should enjoy the time away and also look forward to going home.
There is no place like HOME.

Plan a getaway..

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment