Tuesday, June 19, 2012

JUNE 19, 2012 SO YOU WANT TO BE A VEGETARIAN ?






"The secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life, and elevating them to art." - William Morris

I received this card from my friends Marius and Tracie. The written words after the quote inside the card  state, " You certainly did that ! " I sat and thought about Mr Morris' quote. To the best of my ability I try to lead a happy life. I do take interest in the small things life has to offer.Examples are the sun, the plants, the insects and of course, the people in the world. More importantly I have taken an active role in the environment or Earth Mother. I genuinely care about people As individuals we can make a difference !

I am involved in a movement,. There are many movements int he world. One in which I am asked lots of questions about is the movement into veganism.  So you want to be a vegetarian ? What is the reason ? It is an ethical position you are taking on animal rights and the environment? Is it a spiritual or religious reason? Or are you merely experimenting with the many benefits that following a plant based diet has to offer ? Regardless of the reason you must understand some basic rules of DO and DO NOTS. This movement should be done without guilt. During my college and medical schools days I was a semi vegan. I only ate fish. No eggs, no cheese and definitely No animal products. I do not remember what inspired me to do this. I know now it would be the environment or reading Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore Dilemma that would inspire me. Some vegans do not eat bee products. This is something I do not understand and await a good answer from a solid vegan,

Whatever the reason you must think of your cravings for food. Cravings can be powerful and you must learn to deal with them. You have a carving for something that is not vegan. Focus your mind and eye on the food. Where is this feeling coming from? Are you angry? Are you sad? What is the feeling? Most of us do not feel enough. Sure we feel pain if we hurt our body. For example you are upset with another individual--where is the pain coming from ? Do you feel a knot in your stomach, you your palm become sweaty ?  So you want that piece of delicious cheese - you better have an alternative of cut carrots and celery real close to you to shift the craving in your mind,

I heard this...Any movement into veganism must be filled conscious of the body's fundamental needs, stated Christopher Hassett. He wrote a great article in the East Villager . It is known that poor vegan diets are deficient in B12 and omega 3 fatty acids. These both are real important in long term mental and physical health. I have two major suggestions:
1. Hemp and 2. Chia seeds. Hemp is non-dairy vegan and one of the best, quality sources of plant based nutrition. Two thirds of its nutrients are deemed essential. Now that's cool. Hemp contains EFA's ( esssential fatty acid) and omega 3 and 6 int he balanced 1:3 ratio. We as humans DO NOT make essential fatty acids, We have to acquire them from food. They are needed for energy production, brain health function and overall skin and digestive health,.  The two super omegas - SDA and GLA are not found in other nut sources as flax, pumpkin, sunflower and soy. So try hemp today. You also will get magnesium, iron, potassium, fiber and Vitamin E.
The second great source of omega 3 is is Chia seeds. It is high in alpha-linolenic acid. Do not grind these seeds Eat them just the way they are. I put them in a nut mix called Dr Frat;'s Nut Mix sold in Longevity Nutritionals. ( www.longevitynutritionals.com. I know many athletes who eats lots of Chia seeds. These seeds are highly hydrophilic which means they absorb lots of water. The seeds are a great enhancer in hydrating our body. There are great studies on the benefits of chia seeds for diabetics. These seeds can help you lose weight as so will feel full eating them.

So try Chia seeds

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment