Monday, June 25, 2012

JUNE 25, 2012 WHEN WAS YOUR TESTOSTERONE LEVEL CHECKED LAST /








" Cheer up, the worst is yet to come."

How many of you walk through life with impending doom and constantly worrying ? I was one of those people. I was always comfortable with failure and negativity when I was not sober. I loved loathing in my panic and negative thoughts. NOT ANY MORE ! I find it challenging to deal with success. I have to be ON all the time, but it does not bother me anymore. I am more comfortable in my life and success than I have ever been in my life.  I never think of the progress I have made. Others see it, I do not ! I go through life working the my 12 steps, meditation and prayer and do just fine. It is only when I reflect on my life during my sober anniversary, do I say, "Wow- was that really me. I recently relived my story while reading " Ninety Days," by Bill Gregg. It brought me back or as I would say it " keeps me Green." He also wrote " Portrait of an Addict."  I( try on a daily basis to banish all negative thoughts and move forward with faith. I am a very grateful man.

Having children changes everything. For me it did change everything. With it came a responsibility. Not every man , let alone gay men ever get to experience this responsibility.  It also changes my testosterone level according to a published study in PNAS  on September 27, 2011. It was postulated that fathers with children have lower testosterone levels than men without children. It wasn't clear whether fatherhood lowers testosterone or men with lower testosterone are less likely to become fathers.

As men we need to know our testosterone levels, It is not about your maleness or your sexual libido. It is about that lower free testosterone is a risk factor for heart disease. Recently a reputable heart journal dispelled the myth that the low total testosterone is the risk factor for heart disease. It is the free testosterone that is the risk factor.

So ask your doctor to check your total and free testosterone as well as your prostate specific antigen. The later is important if you a candidate to start hormonal therapy. I am on the fence about testosterone. I do know that anabolic steroids have been abused . There are serious side effects as enlargement of the prostate, prostate cancer, and anger/ agitation . Yet testosterone is needed if the man is depressed and has a low libido ( or sex drive ) It doesn't always to be given in intramuscular shots. It can be given orally or administered by rubbing cream ( androgel or compounded testosterone) into the skin.

There is also another answer. The answer is to block the aromatase enzyme that converts your testosterone to the female hormones as estrone, progesterone and lutenizing hormone. Some of these natural aromatase inhibitors include chrysin and quercitin ( both of which are bio-flavinoids) and pomegranate seeds.

All in all, testosterone is an incredibly important hormone for health, longevity, and vitality – in both men and women. Leading a Primal life, free of excessive stress and peppered with smart, intense workouts, full of healthy animal fats and plenty of vitamin D, should be enough to promote adequate amounts of testosterone coursing through your veins


Have your testosterone level checked. Ask your doctor...

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. If you need vitamin d, I suggest you get it naturally from sunlight. Sun exposure is the best thing to do to get enough vitamin d. Vitamin d deficiency can cause lots of health problems because almost 3,000 genes in our body is influenced by vitamin d. That's how important vitamin d to our health and it will keep us healthy.

    ReplyDelete