Tuesday, June 26, 2012

JUNE 26, 2012 SAIL AWAY BUT NOT OUR BEES









" I 'm not afraid of storms for I'm learning how to sail my ship "  Louisa May Alcott


Did you ever see any version of the film, Little Women written by Louisa May Alcott. It was a great movie. We all have been through storms in our lives. These are the down moments. What do you do when there is a down moment ? Do you sink ? Do you get up and start all over again? Do you even try ? The down moments are there to teach us for the future about how to navigate through life. The down moments for me are tools to guide me through my life. It allows me hopefully not to make the same mistakes. I am beginning cynical as I get older. I do not tolerate stupidity. I never tolerate lying and cheating. I have been taken for many times, but each time I learn a different lesson. Now as I get older I do not make those same mistakes. If I do, I know I have trusted again, because that is me. I am human. I know one of character defects is that I trust too much. I must be more careful in this department of my life.

I cannot tolerate some of the government actions especially when it comes to killing., I am not even talking about war. I am talking about their action to use a pesticide, Clothianidin. What makes me laugh is the government knows that this pesticide kills honeybees. I wonder if it is being sprayed on the White House lawn and killing their honeybee hive. I doubt it.
In the next week, the EPA is expected to issue a decision on the pesticide Clothianidin — which scientists believe is a major factor in this alarming decline in U.S honey bee populations, known as Colony Collapse Disorder.  Since 2006, one third of U.S honey bee populations have been dying off yearly. One third. Every year. That's a terrible rate of species destruction on its own, but it's also a serious threat to our food supply. Honey bees play a crucial role by pollinating 71 of the 100 most common crops, which account for 90% of the world's food supply. If you do not have honeybees you will be missing one third of your fruits and vegetables on your dinner plate.
Do you care ?

More than 125,000 CREDO Activists joined the Pesticide Action Network and other groups this March in urging the EPA to suspend its approval of Clothianidin. The EPA is about to respond, but if the agency doesn't actually act, it likely won't review Clothianidin again until 2018 — and by then it could be too late for the bees.
Tell the EPA: Bee die-offs are an emergency. Ban the pesticide that's killing bees.


While the causes of Colony Collapse disorder are complex, studies are increasingly pointing to the role played by pesticides like Clothianidin. Sure there might be other causes of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) but pesticides are a major one. The bees can get varroa mites, but this is not the major cause. Weather changes like last year might starve your bees. I know, the gay females of Fire Island stopped the spraying of mosquitoes for many years and including this year as there was a link to breast cancer. Believe it or not whether they knew it or not, they saved the dying bat population of Fire Island. I do not think any of them had a clue about the bats. The brown bat lives on those mosquitoes. If you kill the mosquitoes, you kill the food supply for the New York Brown Bat.
So this isn't new NEWS as ...
In March 2012, the Huff Post ran an article which stated  Beekeepers and some scientists say the chemicals known as neonicotinoids are lethal to bees and weaken their immune systems, making them more susceptible to pathogens. They say it could contribute to colony collapse disorder, in which all the adult honey bees in a colony suddenly disappear or die. The disorder continues to decimate hives in the U.S. and overseas. Since it was recognized in 2006, the disease has destroyed colonies at a rate of about 30 percent a year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Before that, losses were about 15 percent a year from a variety of pests and diseases.
Beekeepers annually replace those hives.

Chothianidin is produced by the German corporation Bayer CropScience, it is used as a treatment on crop seeds, including corn and canola, and works by expressing itself in the plants' pollen and nectar. Not coincidentally, these are some of honey bees' favorite sources of food.

Shockingly, Clothianidin was approved without any independent study verifying its safety.The Pesticide was conditionally approved for use in 2003, and then fully approved by the EPA in 2010, on the basis of only one test conducted by Bayer, which EPA scientists later said was unsound and not sufficient to be the grounds for unconditional approval of the pesticide. Clothianidin has already been banned in France, Italy, Slovenia, and Germany — the home of Bayer — but it continues to be applied to over 100 million acres here in the U.S., at the peril of bees and our ability to produce foods like apples, blueberries, almonds, pumpkins and dozens of other vital crops. For the EPA to take action and suspend the use of Clothianidin it must declare bee die-offs to be an "imminent hazard." And with massive continuing die-offs of the species that is a cornerstone of our crop production, it's clear that is the case.

For too long, the EPA has turned a blind eye to the problem, trusting a sham study by pesticide makers over the mounting evidence that Clothianidin is not safe for our food system. It's time for the EPA to ban Clothianidin and save the bees.

Be proactive and let your voice be heard !!! Thank you , Christan

Clothianidin Pesticide Harms Honeybees And Must Be Banned

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment