Friday, June 22, 2012

JUNE 22, 2012 A NEW HOBBY: MAKING SEA MOSS DRINKS






"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A brilliant man and superb author/writer. This statement describes that no one can help  others without first helping himself/herself. A caring , beautiful woman known throughout the world asked this. " Why did God give you two hands.?" The person she asked did not know at that time in his life. She said this, " God gave you two hands for this reason. One to help others , and the other to help yourself." That individual was me in 1990s in the CCU of a New York City Hospital. The most beautiful woman who directed the question to  me was Audrey Hepburn. She visiting a friend in the CCU while on a UNICEF tour. I have never forgotten that day nor her face and the warmth of her hands. To this day, I will cherish that advice. It was the beginning of a new life for me, but I did not know what was in store for me for the future. I try to the best of my ability to continually help patients, but I could not do that unless I continually help myself in all disciplines of life.


Have you ever tried sea moss? When I was studying medicine in the Caribbean especially in St. Vincents and Barbados i was introduced to Irish Sea Moss drinks. At first they tasted not so bad, and as i drank more and more on sunny days to ease my heat exhaustion, they began to taste better. My first ones was at the Nutmeg Cafe in Grenada. I then had a priest make me one on the island Petit St Vincents.
Seaweed is effective against many health conditions. Sea Moss is effective against varicose veins, halitosis ( bad - foul smelling breath) inflammation and dysentery. Irish sea moss has also been used as an emollient. It has been used to prevent cholesterol formation, and to decrease blood pressure ( hypertension) It is used in the island for many bladder conditions. Sea moss provides the most magnificent healing properties from cancer and radiation poison. This is due to the high iodine content. Therefore it can be used to treat an under active (hypothyroid) condition.
Sea moss is also an excellent source of magnesium and sodium in addition to the iodine.



SEA MOSS DRINK RECIPE:



2 oz. dried sea moss (available at Caribbean markets )
Juice of ½ lime
2 ½ cups water, divided
4 cups evaporated milk ( can use almond or unsweetened soy)
½ sugar ( I use agave)
2 tsp. Angostura Bitters

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place sea moss in a bowl with the lime juice and ½ cup of the water. Allow to soak overnight.
2. Drain, place in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the sea moss looks like a wad of jelly. Remove the pan from the heat and cool.
3. Place the seam moss mixture in a blender with the evaporated milk and sugar. Puree for 1 minute, or until smooth. Add the bitters and serve over crushed ice.

Until tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post and wonderful blog, this sort of interesting posts I really like, keep it up... Jamaican Sea Moss

    ReplyDelete