Friday, June 1, 2012

JUNE 2, 2012 BLOOD NOURISHING HERBS/TONICS







"Real closeness will come when I talk about myself rather than someone else."

I do know this - I rarely talk about others. It is not me. It is character assassination, also known as gossip. Do you know anyone who gossips? I do. I know plenty. I used to be one of those individuals who thrived on gossip and mishaps of others. Through prayer and meditation I had that character defect lifted. Gossip is thoroughly mean-spirited at the expense of others. I know this weekend there will be no gossip. For one reason- I am not in Fire Island. I am in the Black Mountains of North Carolina. It is the Earth Medicine conference also known as Medicines of the Earth 2012. There is no gossip here but sincere greetings and hugs. It is great seeing people I haven't seen since last year. New lectures- new material presentation and new herbal intensives. As I  talked about my career with new herbalists, my chest swelled with gratitude, and tears had to be held back. I don't realize my own accomplishments. I really do not. I do not realize how hard I have worked to be a real human being walking on the Earth. The gratitude as I gaze at the mountains is beyond reproach

As I was reading last night I had visions of eclectic physicians using blood tonics.  These blood tonics are nourishing supportive plants and foods that build blood, move stagnant blood and tone up or tonify the spleen. There was a time when we did not have medicine. The medicine was the plants and still should be. This is what will work usually without any side effects, Some of the herbs have astringent actions and benefits, some increase oxygen uptake and concentration  and other purify and detoxify.

Some of these herbs you have heard of such as dandelion, bilberry and alfalfa. Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) is commonly associated with  problems of the eye ,but it is very useful to increase tenacity of the blood vessels and used in the treatment of varicose veins and hemorrhoids. Horse Chestnut is used for varicose veins and hemorrhoids also. I love herbs when there is more than one use or action. Unfortunately individuals usually associate one herb with a specific treatment. The herbs that are used as blood tonics that are not common to most are chickweed, blue violet, cleavers and nettles. Burdock root and Yellow dock are also used.

For those who are not fortunate to work with herbs and use them--there are many foods that are blood tonic foods. These are artichoke, beets, blackberries, dates, eggs, figs, kelp, kidney beans, cooked onions, sardines and spinach. These are fairly common foods.

Eat some of these foods and nourish your blood

Until tomorrow...

Last photo IS NOT blueberries --these are BILBERRIES

No comments:

Post a Comment