Sunday, August 1, 2010

AUGUST 1, 2010 I LEFT MY HEART IN ...





In The Language of Letting Go daily meditation book, August 1st is dedicated to gratitude. You should thank God, the universe, and life for everyone and everything that is sent your way. How true is this. I think the older you get you appreciate that life is precious. I certainly do. I see illness every day. Gratitude will turn any negative energy into positive energy. Sitting in many church basements I have heard, "Gratitude not Attitude." I cherish that saying every day. In time if you believe, you will understand 'gratitude'. Time Heals Everything is so true. It is from the Jerry Herman musical, Mack and Mabel. I think time and gratitude should go together in the same breath.

Young man, it's wonderful to be young! Enjoy every minute of it. Do everything you want to do; take it all in. But remember that you must give an account to God for everything you do. Ecclesiastes 11:9.

A very wise sober man told me this 15 years ago while I was sitting in the basement of St. Monica's Church on east 79th Street. I have never forgot it.

I also like the following which tells me about TIME

Take time to think -- it is the source of power
Take time to play -- it is the secret of perpetual youth
Take time to read -- it is the fountain of wisdom
Take time to pray -- it is the greatest power on Earth
Take time to love and be loved -- it is a God-given privilege
Take time to be friendly -- it is the road to happiness
Take time to laugh -- it is music of the soul and the best medicine
Take time to give -- it is too short a day to be selfish
Take time to work -- it is the price of success
Take time to be happy -- you only have one life on Earth

I Left My Heart in .... It is back to the heart. Did you know that 43 % of the population spend more than 25% of their out of pocket dollars on integrative medicine? This is on the rise and has steadily increased since the 1990's. Five out of every 10 adults use some form of alternative therapy--massage, herbal medicines,and supplements. Today people are spending more time with their chiropractor, acupuncturist or naturopathic doctor than the primary/family care pracitioner. When someone who doesn't know me asks what kind of medicine I practice I am dumbfounded for the answer to give. What do I say? I am an internist/cardiologist. I think to myself-- I am more than that. Do I say, "I am an herbal and vitamin health care practitioner." That sounds corny. I do not think there is a simple answer to the question. I am an integrative cardiologist who bridges conventional medicine with integrative lifestyle therapies including all lifestyle changes. If you have read this blog from the beginning you will know these lifestyle changes are seven in number. That is as simple as I can make it.

I always want to review my seven lifestyle changes--dietary, exercise, addictions, meditation, self esteem, anger, and self love.
There I said it again...

Your heart is the size of your fist and pumps blood to every part of your body. The measurement we use in cardiology for the amount of blood volume pumped from the heart with each heart beat is called the EJECTION FRACTION. This is the second definition you must learn. Yesterday was angina. Today is EF. The normal EF is about 50 - 75% . This means that the strongest and largest chamber of the heart, the left ventricle 'ejects' or 'pumps' 55-75 percent of the blood with each beat. Some diseases that effect ejection fraction are the following:

1. Coronary artery disease - blockages of the arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle
2. Congestive heart failure - failure of pump function, a weakened heart, There are many possible causes such as infection, blocked arteries, valves that are too old.
3. Cardiomyopathy - enlargement of the heart . May be due to virus, alcohol and/or heavy metals.
4. Hypertension - increased blood pressure. Today mildly hypertensive is 130 systolic and 85 diastolic.

Perhaps we should start with basic anatomy of the chambers of the heart, and the valves of the heart.
Where did you leave our heart ?

I Left My Heart In San Francisco lyrics
Songwriters: Douglass Cross and george Cory

The loveliness of Paris seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome is just another day
I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the bay

I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill it calls to me
To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars
The morning fog may chill the air, I don't care

My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco
Your golden sun will shine for me


There is that word again--gay. And in the second line. I am most familar with this song either from legends past and present, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. Although hit the charts in 1962 and closely associated with Mr Bennett, there are many other songs of Mr Bennett's that are familar and hit the charts.
I am avid Sinatra man, but here's to yoyu Mr. Bennett.

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY...MR BENNETT..84 and strong
Tony Bennett (born Anthony Dominick Benedetto; August 3, 1926) is an American singer of popular music, standards, show tunes, and jazz. Raised in New York City, Bennett began singing at an early age. He fought in the final stages of World War II as an infantryman with the U.S. Army in the European Theatre. Afterwards, he developed his singing technique, signed with Columbia Records, and had his first number one popular song with "Because of You" in 1951. Several top hits such as "Rags to Riches" followed in the early 1950s. Bennett then further refined his approach to encompass jazz singing. He reached an artistic peak in the late 1950s with albums such as The Beat of My Heart and Basie Swings, Bennett Sings. In 1962, Bennett recorded his signature song, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco
The painting was painted by Tony Bennett. Check out all his paintings. Fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment