Thursday, August 19, 2010

AUGUST 20, 2010 MY BROKEN BONE AND ....








"Serenity is the gift promised when we let GOD handle our lives. No crisis need worry us. The solution is only a prayer away."

I love serenity. Is there anyone reading this who doesn't love serenity? I didn't know what serenity was before I let GOD handle my life. God manages my life by me just letting go. I found a GOD when I was young in an organized religion, Catholicism. As I got older, living life on life's terms-- I stopped going to church and following the religious path. I came back to religion as I wanted my children to attend catholic school.

In the midst of my addiction I didn't turn to GOD and the church unless I was asking for help. It went like this--Please GOD I promise not to do this again if you get me out of this jam. I got out of the jam and the drug induced daze, and once again I did again and again. The beginning of a new year, 1994 didn't start out so well. My Uncle Joe had passed away on January 2, 1994. I remember the wake and funeral as if it was yesterday. By March 1994, I was in a rehabilitation center mourning the death of former President Nixon.

By the time June 1994 approached I was counting days. God was present in my life in the AA rooms. Slowly I began to look at GOD as Good Orderly Direction. This was different from the GOD at St John the Baptist Church in Yonkers. In a confessional booth as I confessed my sins and being a homosexual, I was asked to leave church. I returned to church on very few occasions. I went for my Poppy's funeral, the children's communion and confirmation, and my father's funeral. I have attended different places of worship since 1994, mainly to seek peace, serenity and love. I go to places of worship to meditate. So for me today, serenity is only a prayer away.

Back to the heart...No, not the heart. I am on an herbal school weekend in Ithaca. I want to discuss two herbs that I find fascinating. I want to discuss Calendula and Boneset.

Calendula (pronounced /kəˈlɛndjuːlə/ Ca-lén-du-la), pot marigold, is a genus of about 12-20 species of annual or perennial herbaceous plants in the daisy family Asteraceae, native to the area from Macaronesia east through the Mediterranean region to Iran. Calendula should not be confused with other plants that are also known as marigolds, such as plants of the genus Tagetes, corn marigolds or marsh marigolds. The name Calendula stems from the Latin kalendae, meaning first day of the month, presumably because pot marigolds are in bloom at the start of most months of the year. Pot Marigolds typically bloom quickly (in under two months) in bright yellows, reds, and oranges throughout the summer and well into the fall.

Pot Marigolds are considered by many gardening experts as one of the most versatile flowers to grow in a garden, especially since they are easy to grow. Seeds sown in the spring in most soils will germinate freely in sunny or half-sunny locations. It is recommended to deadhead (remove the dying flower heads) the plants regularly to maintain even blossom production. This is the same for basil. I had to dead head all the petunias this year to get new growth of flowers. My hands were sticky. This was from the resin of the flower. Calendula is not native to the USA.

When people hear that calendula is in an herbal preparation it is an easy sell. People like calendula--especially the smell and its medicinal properties. It is easily used with other herbs. Tonight I learned that Calendula alone does very little harm. It is called a vulnerary which means a wound healing agent. Calendula acts as a skin disinfectant and repairs or restores skin cells. My herbal professor, 7song prefers to use it as a soak. It is often combined with yarrow.

Another soaking herb is comfrey. It is used topically as a face wash. It can be used for eczema and psoriasis. It is also used for diaper rash. One important note: Never use calendula when the wound is active. Therefore it is never used for the Staphylococcus infection Impetigo. I have seen it used in post herpetic or post varicella (shingles) rashes or discolorations on the skin. I would not use it when the shingles or herpes is in its active blistering vesicular form. It is a mild immune stimulant. I did learn it is used as a lymphogogue and splenogogue , thus moving lymph and spleen respectively.

The other herb discussed is Boneset. Scientific Name: Eupatorium perfoliatum – Compositae Family It is also known as Eupatorium, Thoroughwort, wood boneset, Indian sage, sweating plant, teasel, and feverwort.

I love the name BONESET. The herbalist,Matthew Wood has used it to set broken bones.
Boneset gets its name from its ability to "break bone fever." This name is from when having influenza, a patient coughed so forcefully that ribs were broken. It is used by North American Indians for stomach problems, colds, and fevers in addition to arthritis and rheumatic ailments. It became popular among the Negroes in the southern United States and used for fevers and as a tonic. Boneset was also used in the United states during influenza epidemics of 1918 for pain and fever. European settlers used it as a cure-all. I have been told it is bitter. I will use it this year during the flu season. It can be combined with echinacea, marshmellow, licorice and meadow sweet. It can used as a tea or tincture.

I will try it this year--so pay carefull attention to the Fall blogging.

The photographs above are the yellow pot marigold and the white flowered boneset. There are also photographs done by Rick Byrd: A hand made cross stitch Cactus bookmark and me with hair and new eyewear.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment